Cat leashes/harness - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via AIM to ChiaZ Send a message via MSN to ChiaZ Send a message via Yahoo to ChiaZ
Cat leashes/harness

So reading the post about the cat strollers, I thought of this...
Does anyone have/use the cat leashes/harnesses? does it work for indoor cats to take them outside once n a while ? What are your thoughts on those?

Chiara
~~ mommy to Kahlua (as of Oct 25/04)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
If I'm not mistaken, I thought I read something about it being best to take a cat outside with a harness. I am not tooooo sure though. But I think that somewhere I read that. But, my opinion is to use a harness for cats AND dogs. I would use a harness but that is JUST me.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 06:58 PM

Yup, even if our cats is more or less terrified of grass, they did enjoy the fresh air... but only on very hot summer days. They got used to the harness in about 30 minutes and I put it on in good time before we go out, so they know something is going to happen. They really like the adventure, and they like it even more when they come home and can find their comfy bed again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 07:09 PM

my little cat loves going out on her harness & will come & ask when she would like to go for a walk in the garden.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 07:56 PM

I think harness and leashes are definately great for indoor cats. I bought Denzel a kitten harness and started putting it on him from about 8 weeks, just for a couple of minutes everyday to get him used to having something strange on his body. And now I love it coz I can take to friends, etc and I keep him on the leash in their gardens, he gets to sniff and run around but he can't get away from me

They're a good idea.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:00 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Yeah, I like harnesses. I want to get one for my dog Scooter and my rabbit Riley. When I get a cat I will get her on too.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 10:39 PM

We take our cats out for leashed walks. We use the H-harnesses, and 15 ft. leashes. Here's some threads with good pointers on introducing cats to leashes, etc.

Cat on a harness?
Indoor cat wants outside
Harness tips
Poll: Walk cats?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Premier Cat

Snickers was almost 4 when we started him on a harness. I thought he would hate it as he had gone crazy when we tried to put a collar on him once. Much to my surprise, he had a ball walking the yard and exploring. He loves eating the grass and walking on the rocks.

Make sure you get a sturdy, well made harness. The first one I bought was a cheap one as I thought it would likely end up unused in a drawer. But Snickers was able to wiggle right out of it! It had a sliding mechanism that wasn't secure enough.

I went back to Petco and bought a new one that I could adjust to his size with sturdy clips. Snickers is a big boy and the one I bought is actually for small dogs!! It works great.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 01:03 PM

my Harley loves going out on his leash!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 07:46 PM

I think a harness' is great for cats or small dogs. If they are trained at a young age it would be ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page