Non-animal people - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Non-animal people

I was just thinking that many of us here probably have a friend or relative that does not like cats, or any animal for that matter. What have your experiences been with that?

My father in law is very clean and does not tolerate any kind of animal really. He has even said if he were to get a small dog it could not shed, not even a little bit. When I know he's coming over I catch myself vacuuming and picking up all cat toys. Snowball is a very social cat and I am constantly calling him away from my father in law. I understand I need to be respectful of my company and probably should put the cats back in the bedroom or something while company is over, but my cats live here. Company doesn't. Know what I mean?

My brother in law's wife is that way, too. She's a school teacher and is very proper, always dressed up, name brand clothes, etc. She has told me before that she hates cats. They gross her out. So when she comes over you can tell she's more concerned with where the cats are.

One of my husband's friends does not like cats either. I don't think it's that he doesn't like them, he's just a very bitter, cocky person. He's been that way ever since his divorce. Anyway, every time Snowball goes near him it's, "Cat, get away!" When he goes out on our patio to have a cigarette, the cats always take his spot. It's warm where he was sitting. Then he comes in and shoves them away. He asked us one time why we even bothered getting cats cause they're such nuisances. He doesn't remember that it was HIM that even suggested it in the first place. Both my husband and I said, "YES, you told us we should get a cat." Neither of us were thinking of getting a cat til this guy said something. We won't be hanging out with this guy much longer for reasons unrelated to the cats.

I just feel like whenever someone's coming over I'm quick to vacuum, wipe down the counters, make sure the cat pan is clean, etc. I don't want my husband to be known as 'the sibling with the dirty house' just cause I have cats and I keep it really clean. Why do I care so much what people think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 03:47 PM

Ohhhh I can completely relate to this...My grandma can not stand animals especially cats, which means we butt heads when she comes to stay with us. I refuse to lock my cats up...It is just not how I handle things.

My boyfriends mom hates cats as well, and my boyfriend actually was not very fond of them either until he met Puma and I, now he is a changed man.

But you shouldn't feel like your cats are a burden on any company you have, your cats are a part of you and if people don't like it then they can go elsewhere...Even though this is much easier said than done. But I say as long as they are not allergic it is not your problem to worry about.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma
But you shouldn't feel like your cats are a burden on any company you have, your cats are a part of you and if people don't like it then they can go elsewhere...Even though this is much easier said than done. But I say as long as they are not allergic it is not your problem to worry about.
Well said. When we have people over they know that we have cats and that they are our babies. So if they can't deal with them, then they are welcome not to come over for a visit. Our house, our rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ta3339
OMG.. my Mom HATES animals.

Well when she come to visit, she stays with us. She doesn't like my cats, and doesn't want them anywhere near her. It's easy to keep them out of the guest room, we just close the door, this makes her happy. However, the litter box is in the linnen closet in the guest bathroom. she was VERY not happy about this over x-mas. I told her... To bad, these are my cats, you are already locking them out of one room, i am not moving thier litter box too.

This is our house, my cats live here, it is there house, they are used to having the run of the house, frankly i am not taking that away for someone who does not like them. The cats should not have to suffer because someone visiting does not like them. I do however make sure the litter box is clean cause they shouldn't have to see a dirty litter box, heck i dont' like to see a dirty litter box.

If someone really had a problem with my animals or the cleanliness of my house (which is always clean), then they don't need to come over. It's my life, my house, and my cats house.

I think it might sound harsh. but it's how i feel. I wouldn't go to a persons house who had kids if i didn't want to deal with kids. I don't think this is any different.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Premier Cat

Interesting topic!

My youngest is a total animal lover!My oldest son doesnt like animals. He isnt cruel to them but doesnt like the animal hair and them jumping on counters and jumping on you. I told him when he came for Christmas my cats are my companion animals and he better get over it. Im very clean so have the house totally free of cat hair and try to keep them away from him. He tolerates them.

If someone objected to my animals Id suggest they stay in a hotel. I do put my cats in another room for the evening when people come over that arent fans of animals. But they would never be invited to stay with me cuz of that.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Well, I would LOVE for my animals to be up in the house but my mom won't allow it but it is for our own health. Hey, the only thing I can do is blame the hair and parasites but that is what the docs say! LOL! But, I am convinced that they will come out with a solution that makes pets not shed and makes them parasite-free. But, it is your rules with your house. If I wanted the house to be full of furniture then it will be (that will never happen though). Catlover_2004.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 09:28 PM

Our friends are mostly pet lovers, who have dogs or cats, so they understand our love for our cats. We've never had a problem when they visit.

But my family doesn't like cats, or pets in general. It's a cultural thing for us - animals are seen as "unclean", and not kept for pet purposes. I have a happy story, and a "shut up" story.

Happy story: My sister is a cat convert who now adores Pixie. She went from, "Ewww, don't let the cats near me, I don't want to touch them", to petting and even cuddling Pixie now. She loves to play with the cats, and she'll let them sit on her lap.

"Shut up" story: My mother was especially vocal on her absolute disgust over my cats. The first time she had this conversation about my "filthy, disease-carrying useless animals", I kindly told her to stop. The second time, I told her to "kindly shut the f$#% up", and never talk that way about my cats again. So now she steers clear of insulting my furrbabies.

Everyone who walks into my house must treat the kitties with the utmost respect. End of story.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Premier Cat

Great stories. Sound like youve put up the boundaries with your mom and what you are willing to tolerate. Go Girl!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrafan4life79
I understand I need to be respectful of my company and probably should put the cats back in the bedroom or something while company is over, but my cats live here. Company doesn't. Know what I mean?
Your company needs to respect that is is your house and your animals live in YOUR house!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta3339
I told her... To bad, these are my cats, you are already locking them out of one room, i am not moving thier litter box too.

This is our house, my cats live here, it is there house, they are used to having the run of the house, frankly i am not taking that away for someone who does not like them. The cats should not have to suffer because someone visiting does not like them. I do however make sure the litter box is clean cause they shouldn't have to see a dirty litter box, heck i dont' like to see a dirty litter box.

exactly!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 09:48 PM

Most of my guests (well, we have very few), love cats/animals. But my Sister-In-Law HATES cats. Lord how she carries on when she is here. I do nit put my cats up, but I do try to keep them away from here. She can talk soooo mean to them!

I feel that if people come into your home, they should respect ALL that live there, animals included. Needless to say, I don't see my SIL very often. LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page