Worm Eggs? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Worm Eggs?

I have a ten week old kitten and over the past week I've noticed these little pieces of what look sorta like rice hanging from the fur down by it's bottom. They are a little bit smaller than a piece of rice but have the same shape and same color (maybe a bit darker).
They are not moving and do not appear to be alive, also I have inspected his fecal waste and there are no visable worms in it.
He was at the vet two weeks ago and they didn't find any worms or eggs in his waste sample--but they said that he still could possible have worms.

Does anyone know what these little pieces could be

The Original Male Kitten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 01:05 AM

Those are probably tapeworms, they are usually passed through fleas, and you will have to treat all animals for them. If you have fleas, they likely passed to kitty through the fleas, and will likely pass to other kitties you may have. Here is an article segment from another post describing them.

Quote:
Tapeworms
Holly Frisby, DVM, MS
Veterinary Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

Tapeworms are flat worms that are segmented. They consist of a head, neck, and then a number of segments. The head usually has suckers or muscular grooves that enable the tapeworm to attach itself to the animal's intestine.
Each tapeworm segment has its own reproductive organs. New segments are continually formed in the neck region of the worm while those at the end of the tapeworm are cast off as they mature. These mature segments contain large numbers of eggs which are often grouped into packets. The segments may often be seen near the anus of the cat or dog. These segments may move if recently passed, or if dried, they look like grains of uncooked rice or cucumber seeds. Tapeworm infections are usually diagnosed by finding these segments on the animal.

Tapeworms of cats and dogs all have life cycles that include an intermediate host. These hosts include fleas, fish, and domestic animals.....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 01:11 AM

Tapeworms are probably the most common type of worms in cats. They are passed by fleas or by eating a rodent that has tapeworm. Droncit or TapeWormTabs(which you can buy at PetCo) are used to treat them and both work great. But unless you want the tapeworm to come back, you must keep her on Advantage flea control. I order mine here...
www.petshed.com

Take Care,
Abhay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you--I will check into that. I know that he does not have fleas though, so it seems strange that the fleas have to host the tapeworms.

The Original Male Kitten.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
I know that he does not have fleas though, so it seems strange that the fleas have to host the tapeworms.
He could have had them from before, if he's never been treated, it's likely he had them before you brought him home, just in a small quantity that didn't show up. Plus, I've hear of it reappearing in cats who are treated regularly for fleas, so who knows? Not really uncommon, though.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 01:58 AM

Trust me, 99% of untreated cats have fleas...maybe only two or three...but it takes only a couple for more and more to start coming

Abhay
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
The cat doesn't even really need to HAVE fleas to have tapeworm. It comes from injesting the fleas. Since cats are such meticulous groomers, any flea on the cat was most likely groomed away (ie, eaten) before you noticed.

Mine had tapeworm shortly after I adopted him and I had never seen a flea on him (though I'm not sure if I had it at the shelter or got it when he came home).

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page