Introducing a new kitten to two adult cats... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Introducing a new kitten to two adult cats...

Hi there - this is my first post on these forums so here goes!

We might be getting a new kitten (once I've managed to persuade the other half! ) but we're worried that our cats might not take to it and try and eat it or something!

Our cats are both girls and are 9 in April

We were supposed to look after a friend's boy cat last year and we brought him round to see what the initial reaction would be and we were surprised that ours were fine with it - just very wary and curious, but no hissing or claws at dawn! but the visitor was very shy and hid behind the couch growling but didn't have his "hackles" up (not sure if cats have hackles!)

I would love to get a male kitten, but not sure if a female would be best

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 09:50 AM
Jr. Cat

hope i can help a little

All cats should be introduced slowly. You would keep the new cat seperated in another room and let the cats smell eachother under the door. You can switch them from the rooms so they would be able to smell eachother's scent in the rooms. Rub the cats down with a dry towel and then switch towels so they can also get used to eachothers scent. This would really help in the beginning, after that I am at a loss, also it would be a good idea if they are all fixed , it makes introducing easier. Good luck with the convincing the hubby.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 11:25 AM

I introduced a kitten to my two adult cats a couple of years a go. At the time one was 7 and the other was 3. The kitten was small and still a little young to be away from his mother. I was nervous about the reaction from my two adult cats. They actually did nothing! Suprisingly they didn't hiss or anything. Just came over and checked him out and walked away. Of course Zack turned into a terror a few months later and they were probably wishing that had knocked him around when he was smaller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 11:49 AM
Premier Cat

I just brought in two female kittens to join my four year old male. I kept them separated, as Catlover suggests, for several weeks and a few times swapped spaces so they could check out and smell each others' living areas. After a couple of weeks, Snickers wanted to go in the room with them, which I supervised. There was some hissing and swatting; when this happened, I would separate them again.

When the relations got smoother, I let the kittens out in the rest of the house with Snickers for short periods. Now, I only keep them in their room at night and when no one is home. I was concerned at first but there have been no issues. Good luck and be patient!!

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 11:51 AM

I think you'll be fine as long as you do proper introductions and keep somewhere where both parties can 'escape' if needs be. You might be surprised, your girls may take to the little one straight away, though some hissing is to be expected.

Your girls are getting on now, so my only pointer is that a feisty playful kitten may a bit much for them if they are typical 9 year olds. Would you consider an older kitten or rescue an adult, or are you set on a baby?

Oh, and I'm a Brit too, welcome to the site!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Cool Cat

We've been through this several times and am doing this right now. My kitten is about 6wks old. I start individual introductions within a few hours of arrival. Most all cats will hiss, even swat at the newcomer. Always give the cats an "out", and be there to supervise in case the older cat decides to "dominate" with zeal
Make sure to hold the new cat and let it mark you by rubbing it's face on you, then when you leave the isolation room, the other cats will smell the newbie on you and begin to understand that you want the newcomer to be there.

Some cats will just never get along. As long as they are not trying to kill each other, everything will find it's own level.

Good luck!

spike481
Herdmaster of 16 Cats & 1 Dog

"Ever tried to herd cats?"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 05:04 PM

As long as you don't rush things and do a gradual introduction like every1 here mentioned, your cats shuld be fine. It is said that cats of the opposite sex present a smaller threat, but others have also said otherwise. So it's really up to you when you get around to choosing the new kitten. Or in many cases, when the kitten chooses u!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 05:13 PM
Banned

please read this article first: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions and plan ahead BEFORE you bring your new kitty home. so many people have problems with new cats because they don't know the best way to go about it and haven't planned ahead and made proper preparations.

good luck to you, welcome to the forum, and we're looking forward to hearing about your cat adventures and seeing pics of your kitties!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 10:21 PM

All good advice from the previous posts. Definitely do the introductions slowly. When we got Wellington he was 10 weeks old joining our household of a roughly 9 year old male & roughly 7 year old female. L'il, our male hisser did hiss, but that was about it. Galoshes we were more worried with because she gets very jealous but she actually took to Wellington like her own baby. She snuggled with him and groomed him. Good luck!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies

I think they'll be OK as far as they're age is concerned, if anything it might do them good chasing a little 'un round the house as they're far too lazy and a bit fat!

I've got a few weeks yet to decide, but I hope they'll be fine - hopefully the new kitten will knock Clooney (who's a bit of a bully) down a peg or two!

I would normally have gone for a rescue cat, but my friend's cat has unexpectedly had babies, so I'm trying to help out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page