Unwanted claw trimming - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Unwanted claw trimming

Mel my little grumpy kitty was recently spayed, and the vet thought she was doing me a favor by trimming her claws. Unfortunantly it's not that simple, my roomate has a rather senile pomeranian named Foxy that terrorizes Mel once or twice a day (every time Foxy forgets Mel has claws, I think..). Mel used to quickly rectify this situation by swatting Foxy on the head with a bit of claw, not too much, just a good prick.. This was an acceptable status quo for all parties.

Well now that Mel doesn't have sharp claws she is forced to hide in my bedroom all the time, as her reprimands to the dog have been rendered inneffective. She's not too happy about that and seems sort of depressed and a bit freaked out about the whole thing. Does anyone have any ideas? Her claws are trimmed pretty short, how long will it take them to grow back to full sharpness? Trying to teach that dog anything at all is inneffective, she's 13 years old and has pretty much lost her mind at this point (but still seems happy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Silly profanity filter

You may have noticed an out of place "Richard" in that post that leaves you going "huh??" It didn't show like that in the preview.. Apparently the forum's profanity filter caught the word I decided to use and substituted a distant relative. Lets substitute another: Poke
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Banned

Ya, ha, ha, it does have a filter, and sometimes substitutes totally inane words. Don't worry about the claws, they'll be sharp enough to fight back with in a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Sorry to hear about your problem, but its actually quite common to do thigns like ear cleaning and nail trims while pets are under. You don't have to fight with them, and if you wait until after surgery it actually helps wake them up faster (well... it annoys them just enough to bring them out of sleepy time ).

We do this where I work on almost every patient that goes in for surgery, because most people really WANT these things done. Next time you bring your cat in, just tell them she likes her manicure just the way it is

Have you tried keeping the dog confined for a short period each day until her nails grow back? At least this will give her the run of the house without the little bugger for a little while.

Have they just never gotten along or is one of them new to the household and they still haven't adjusted? Maybe the dog needs some work on leaving the cat alone (other than being reprimanded by the cat). A little training can go a long way.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Banned

BTW, after I logged out I thought of mentioning you might notice Mel biting her nails. That's good! She's just sharpening them up! hee, hee!

And welcome to the forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page