Broken leg - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Broken leg

My very curious cat managed to get out of the house last night and was attacked by 3 dogs. I called the vet and he wasn't in his office. The cat was bleeding from his mouth (causing me much panic), but I discovered that he lost one of his kanine teeth. The bleeding has stopped now. The only thing that concerns me is his leg. He isn't using his leg properly. He has blood under the nails of that leg from digging his claws into one of the dogs. I am thinking that he may have just sprained his leg or something. He will sleep on either side, he can now sit just not for very long. I've felt on his leg and I cant feel anything wrong. I also do not see any swelling. Some years ago when he was attacked by a gang of stray cats, he was hurt pretty badly and attacked me when I touched where he was hurting. He didn't attack me this time.

I fell asleep sometime and woke up with his face in mine.

anyway, any advice would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:42 AM
Banned

Welcome to the forum, stairway!

If it were me, I think I'd still go to the vet. Both for the tooth and the leg. Just to make sure they're healing all right. For example, if the tooth was broken off and there's still some in there it could get infected.

Let us know how things work out!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
Welcome to the forum, stairway!

If it were me, I think I'd still go to the vet. Both for the tooth and the leg. Just to make sure they're healing all right. For example, if the tooth was broken off and there's still some in there it could get infected.

Let us know how things work out!
Yes I believe I am going to take him to the vet just to be on the safe side. He is using his leg more than he was, and he is allert. I tried to prevent him from using his leg in case it is broken. I dont think curious george will be as curious anymore. He peed all over a blanket this morning, so thats in the washing machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 04:45 PM

Poor george. let us know whathappens with him. Hope he gets well soon.

p/s: did he go outside the litterbox because he claws hurt him too much? poor baby!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

back from vet

Last night I became concerned because, once again i did a check and found no fracture on the cat, yet when i touched near his spine he yelled in pain. I brought him in first thing this morning, He has a spinal cord injury. the vet gave him some medicine to stop the paralisis (spelling?) He also gave him some meds for the pain. He sent me home weth metacom..which i looked up and found out is pain medicine. george is doing much better. so much better in fact that he has the need to move around a lot. The vet told me to limit his movement. I have the cat's pet porter (which belonged to a dog so there is a lot of space) If the cat continues to move around a lot, I'm going to stick him in the pet porter thing when i'm not around. Early this morning he tried to jump in a chair...i stopped him before he actually jumped. then i picked him up and put him in the chair and he stayed there for a while. He ate about half of a can of tuna. he is peeing and pooping. If he isn't doing much better by saturday, they are going to keep him there.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Banned

That sounds good. That would explain it. I think you got a good diagnosis.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:14 AM
Premier Cat

I was reminiscing of when my cat Sugar dislocated her leg. I'm glad to hear he got diagnosed and soon he will be 100%
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

The cat isn't drinking water, but he is eating food. I decided to soak the hard food in water, warm it up in the microwave...let the dry food get mushy. I then mixed that with the gerber food i've been giving him. It stinks really bad, but he likes it and he's getting water. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow to let him know how the cat is doing and ask him about the water thing. I thought about milk, seeing if he would drink that...but most cats are lactose intolerant. If i got a little thing of fat free milk or something...would that give the cat the runs?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Banned

Why don't you try cat's milk or goat's milk instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page