Fleas and worms in kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Fleas and worms in kittens

Me again!

Managed to persuade by boyfriend to let us get another kitten

I spoke to my friend last night and he told me that he thinks the kittens might have fleas

Now I don't want any fleas being brought into the house as I have two flealess indoor cats! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deflea tiny kittens successfully before I get to bring it home?

Also the mother cat has worms, so will the kitten have them as well? and if so - can I get wormer for really tiny kittens?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:30 PM

Yes, if the mother cat has fleas and worms, the kittens are certain to have them as well. Do they belong to your friend? How old are the kittens at the moment? A heavy flea infestation in very young kittens can quickly cause anaemia. First of all, mummy cat MUST get some flea and worming treatment ASAP. Make sure your friend gets treatment from the vets NOT the pet store, I recommend Advantage for fleas (though not sure on safety of Advantage with nursing queens!) and Drontal for worms.

Ems x
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

they're about a week old at the moment and my friend says the fleas aren't too bad, he's been coming them all out

can you give kittens that young treatment though?

he's wormed the mother now though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:07 AM

No, I don't think you can safely give kittens that young any flea treatment. You should ask your friend to call the vet to ask if putting Advantage on mum could harm the kittens though. If not, that will probably get them all.

Ems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page