Munchkins - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
View Poll Results: Is it right to breed munchkins?
Yes 6 25.00%
No 18 75.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Munchkins

I was at school today and in socials we were doing animal rights. The topic of Munchkins came up and I thought I would put up a poll...

Link.... http://www.munchkins.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:11 PM

I put yes, though thats becuase I'm not very informed on this topic. Why shouldn't munchkins be bred? Is it because of their short legs?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
munchkins, okay. Twisty katz on the other hand

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelfiCat
I put yes, though thats becuase I'm not very informed on this topic. Why shouldn't munchkins be bred? Is it because of their short legs?
Aparently their short legs hinder them in some way They cant escape from dogs if they are being chased. But my cats and anyone elses cats I know have never been chased by dogs.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big T
Aparently their short legs hinder them in some way They cant escape from dogs if they are being chased. But my cats and anyone elses cats I know have never been chased by dogs.
so wouldn't the sensible option be to keep them as indoor cats?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big T
I've never actually SEEN a munchkin, but there are a few Munchkin parents on this forum. Maybe the will be able to better inform us if their cat is hindered in any way. I've never thought of them as being hindered before...i dont know.

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:15 PM

oooh, munchkins are so cute. Of course I don't know much about them as far as if they're hindered in any way or have any physical problems.

I guess it'd be the same as little people or *ahem* midgets if you must. I've heard they don't like being called midgets. I don't know what kind of physical problems they would have, besides being short, know what I mean?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

Personally I think no. Even though I breed cats myself I think there are limits to how extreme animals we should breed and when the cats can't live "normal" cat lives, which among other things include high jumps, I believe we've gone to far. There are other breeds I believe are to extreme or shouldn't be bred for physical reasons to.

I don't have a stereotype picture of what a cat should look like but I do believe the body should be cat like and I'm sorry but I don't think there's anything cat like with short legs. I believe a cats body should be built for hunting, climbing and jumping.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:25 PM

I put no, though I would like to add hat Marsh on here is a beautiful cat, and he definitely doesn't look as extreme as some others I have seen on the net. Munchkins have not caught on in the UK yet. I don't think its right to meddle with the stereotypical feline form - cats are built for agility and speed. However, I do think its just a natural progression of human breeding of any domestic animal - we tend to breed 'different' looking animals to order. Munchkins strike me as feline equivalents of Dachshunds, do they suffer the same complications? I.e spinal problems, etc? I do think dogs are so different to cats, Dachshunds were bred for a working purpose originally, whereas Munchkins are just for vanity....

Hmmm, I guess I simply just don't know enough. How were they originally bred to have such short legs? Were deformed cats bred, or did they mess with DNA, etc? As a relatively new breed, does a Munchkin/Munchkin breeding produce all Munchkin kittens?

Ems
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 04:06 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

emma_pen: Yes, Dachshunds do have physical problems due to their long back and short legs. Back pains that need surgery is "quite common" and they can develop problems with their legs, I've seen it and it's not pretty, hardly comfortable either. In Sweden most Dachshunds are still working dogs which is great since wotking dogs have to be kept healthy so it's good for the breeding. Unfortunately the Dachshunds popularity as "only a pet" os growing and with it problems with their backs and legs.

The short legs of the Munchkin is the result of a spontaneous mutation so no one have messed with their DNA so to speak.

The breed isn't approved by any cat association in Sweden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page