I'm a n00b and want to get a cat :) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

I'm a n00b and want to get a cat :)

Hi all, my name is Fabian.

What kind of cats don't shed a lot of hair? I'd like to get a cat for my home but I'm a single guy and my house is a two story and I keep it pretty clean. But if I were to get a cat, I wouldn't wanna be cleaning hair 2 hours a day. One of my buddies has a nice cat, but she is constantly having to collect hair from all over everything

Are there certain breeds that have shorter hair, or just breeds that don't shed as much? My little sister has a cat, but I don't know too much about it. It's not even a year old yet, has long hair but doesnt seem to shed all over the place.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 05:48 AM

With 3 shorthairs and 2 longhairs in my house, I can honestly say that I find shorthairs shed more than longhairs, but it does depend on the individual cat. Obviously, white cats hair is more noticeable.

There are hairless varieties such as the Sphynx. I think you'll find that once you find your new friend, you won't be as obsessive about cat hair as you think you will be.

Good Luck, and keep us updated!

Ems
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 06:04 AM

Yeah, I mean cats shed. I understand the question you are asking and I will say that first off cats are generally clean creatures by nature and I think you will be surprised by this aspect of them.

But short hair cats can have a tendency to shed more, but also long hair cats also shed a good amount as well. My advice is that if you want a cat than get one, the shedding shouldn't be a problem if you keep up on it, meaning by grooming the cat regulary (brushing) and vacumming etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Cool Cat

Sometimes it's hard to tell for sure. I have 2 short hair males and one sheds a lot where the other doesn't shed much at all. A shelter visit is not a good measuring stick either because many cats are nervous in those conditions and will shed more than usual. As long as you vacuum regularly I don't think you're going to find the hair being a problem.

I've heard that a Devon Rex doesn't shed and a Russian Blue sheds very little, but those are expensive pure breeds.

Good luck.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 12:07 PM

from what I understand cats with long hair, but no undercoat like the balinese or long haired oriential don't shed so much. Do you like the looks of them? from what I understand Ragdolls don't shed much either.

balinese link: http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/balinese.html

javanese link: http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/javanese.html

ragdoll link: http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/ragdoll.html
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 12:20 PM

I have a fleece blanket for Sid and he runs to it whereever i put it. For example, if it's on the bed, that's where he'll lay so it collects the fur instead of the bed-spread so it's easier to clean. Just a tip in case your future cat is a 'shedder'. Good luck!

Katie
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 12:47 PM

Our white cat sheds like there's no tomorow! They have a dark purple and blue bed and well...

You cant see the white hairs much because of my poor camera but they are there!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Heh, that ragdoll cat looks awesome

Ah, you guys are probably right, it probably wont be that much of an issue, I was just kinda curious as to wether or not there are certain breeds that shed less just because of what they are. Heck, I'll probably adopt one from a shelter or something anyway just to have one

Thanks for the input.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask about declawing. Is it a good thing or can it be bad for the cat? And does it affect them differently if it's a male or female?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 01:54 PM

declawing is not such a good thing for the cat. First of all you basically have to amputate all their toes at the first knuckle in order to declaw them...it is extreemly painful. Also a lot of declawed cats tend to bite as a natural defense...they don't have their claws anymore so the resort to other means of protection.

If you are careful in choosing your cat and you get to know it really well before you bring it home you will probably be able to pick out a cat that is a little more gentle. My harley has only used his claws on me just a few times....and he's the gentlest of souls!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page