Fur growth question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Fur growth question

I really didn't think this fit in Health and Nutrition, but if I'm wrong, feel free to move it.

My questions is, do cats typically get longer fur in certain areas as they get older?

Jinx is just a regular short haired cat, he'll be 3 in few months. Anyway, he was always very sleek and shorthaired, but a few months ago, I noticed the fur on his belly started to grow longer (making him look bulkier around the tummy). Along with this, he's getting longer fur around his bottom, like on the backs of his legs. Then last night, I was playing with his paws, and realized he's starting to get fur tufts between the toes. I just trimmed his claws a couple weeks ago, and there weren't really any tufts then.

Is it just him, or is it common?

EDIT: I doubt it's anything to worry about, but correct me if I'm wrong. Healthwise everything seems absolutely normal, and his toileting, eating, and behavior are all the same as ever. (Except the longer breeches tend to trap a little more litterbox residue ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Banned

Yes, I was wondering exactly the same thing, because it's happening to Mellie, but not to Rocket or Tommy. It's the fur over her "fat pad", so it really accentuates it swinging back and forth as she runs. Looks funny! Mellie's a girl, and she's a couple months older. I don't know if that has anything to do or not.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 01:36 PM

By about 10 weeks, most of their hair is as long as it's going to get.

Abhay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Banned

Hmmmm---that's strange----because Mellie's 9 1/2 months now (estimated), and this hair growth has occurred since I adopted her Oct 1st.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, that does seem strange, because I've seen kittens over ten weeks who looked to be medium to long-haired but wound up being short-haired as adults. I've also seen shorter-haired kittens develop into medium-haired adults.

Plus, Jinx is almost 3 years old, and there's no doubt that his fur is growing.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 06:17 PM

Well, most cats anyway. The new 12 week old kitten I found has kind of longish hair, and I asked the rescue I volunteer at, and she said that it is done growing. She has done this for over 10 years, so even though it may seem strange, I fully trust her

Abhay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page