I went to my first cat show! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
I went to my first cat show!

Last week, my dad sent me the link from an article in the paper, about a cat show that was going on that weekend. My dad is a total cat person, he just won't admit it... Anyway, this cat show is really big on the Household Pets category, and a quite a few local pet owners enter their kitties just for fun and to maybe win a ribbon or two. He thought I might be interested in bringing the girls next year

So, on Saturday, I went with my little brother and sister to check it out. Spectators got to vote on their favorite long-haired and their favorite short-haired kitties; both the kids adored the Maine Coons, while Hannah's favorite short-hair was the Abyssinian, and Stephen's was the Oriental. The owners and exibitors were really nice, and the cats were so gorgeous. They were judging the kittens that afternoon (under 8 mos.), so lots and lots of little kitties!

They were all so beautiful, and it was really cool to see some breeds up close that I'd only seen pictures of: Siamese, Burmese, Ragdoll, Abyssinian, Egyptian Mau, Bengal, Oriental, Devon Rex and Cornish Rex, and even a tortoiseshell Manx!

The Household Pets are judged on personality, appearance, and health. I realize I'm biased , but I think my girls would do great! Pets over 8 months must be spayed/neutered, cannot be declawed, have to be up-to-date on shots, etc. and there were half a dozen booths for various cat rescues and spay/neuter assistance. I thought that was really cool

So we had a great time, and afterwords the kids could not stop talking about how cool it would be to bring the girls next year (just Miko and Steph, I think Scully and Beeper would be far too nervous). I told them we'd really have to keep up with handling them and making sure they can be calm in situations like that. Of course, these are the cats that sleep while at the vets, and Miko has been known to purr while the doctor is listening to her heart I told them that if we're going to do this, they have to be involved, and we're going to do all our homework on cat shows. And if in a year's time that show works out well, there are other cat shows in our area that accept Household Pets as well.

If you've never been to a cat show, I would really recommend them, they are so much fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Yeah, they had a special raffle for people who brought cat food in to donate to the local shelters. There was a lot of food there! Here's the CFA branch that put the show on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [url=http://www.nhff.org/
New Hampshire Feline Fanciers[/url]]OBJECTIVES (from our Constitution)

This organization is formed for charitable and educational purposes as relates to domestic felines to be achieved by:
  • The holding of shows to promote interest in and knowledge of cats to the general public and the providing of educational programs and materials therein, with proceeds over and above expenses to be used for other charitable purposes.

To promote social welfare by giving support, through activities and donations to shelters, for the care of homeless and abandoned animals (cats) so as to reduce the number of feral animals in the populated areas of our communities.

To encourage and donate to early spay-neuter programs for cats inappropriate to breeding.

To donate to tax exempt organizations (such as the Winn Foundation) to promote the research of feline diseases.

To encourage the breeding to standard of the pedigreed cat.

To advance, in every way possible, the interests of breeders and exhibitors and to promote the welfare of all cats.
Good stuff

For people in the US who want to go to a show, here's the Cat Fancier's Association, show schedule 2005.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 05:32 PM

Hey cool there will be one in Dallas in April, I wanna go! I joke with my bf about entering Stix in cat shows...but then I picture him being held up like a show cat and mauling the judge. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 08:04 PM

Cool! I started getting into cat shows after I got Wellington. I now volunteer to help out my breeder anytime she is at a cat show within an hour's drive of where I am. It's worked out great!! I've gotten to be really good friends with my breeder AND I get to handle and play with her kitties at the show. What more could I ask for?! I'm in heaven.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 08:11 PM
Cool Cat

Phooey! If I'd known, I would have zipped down there for the day. I've never actually been to a cat show (though I've been to a couple of household pet shows in the past). Grrrrrrrrrr...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 04:11 AM

Did you take pictures at the show?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 05:26 AM

wow that sounds like fun, and how exciting it would be to bring yours. I am going to have to look around in my town.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:18 AM

I wish I could enter Sammi and Bailey in the domestic category, but they are too overweight. I think I am gonna go to a few of the shows in Oregon this year.

How much does it usually cost to get in?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Tom Cat

Spacemonkey- you really should enter your girls. You may not have to wait until next year. CFA is only one organization. How about TICA? Here's their show schedule: http://home.flash.net/~debreed/calendar.htm

Then there's ACFA. Here's their schedule: http://www.acfacat.com/about.html

We show year round and we don't really have to drive that far.

BaileyandSammy wrote:
Quote:
I wish I could enter Sammi and Bailey in the domestic category, but they are too overweight.
I wouldn't let that stop you. The judges are wonderful and they take into consideration the age of the cat. Your kids are beautiful. Show them.

Of course, there are cats that like it and cats that don't. Three of mine LOVE it, so I only show those three. Cairo sometimes goes, but he doesn't go into the rings.

Wouldn't it be neat if some of us hooked up at a show?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

artwork by ForJazz

It's my cat's world, I'm just here to open the cans.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Banned

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Roze- The entry fee for this particular show was $30, but I don't know what the average cost is.

TonkMom- Thanks for those links! I'll definately have to check them out. I'd like to go to a few more and just talk to owners and exibitors before I enter my girls. I really think they'd be great, and now that the whole family is excited about it, we're definately going to pursue this

elrick- No pictures this time, but here's some photos of the same show a few years ago:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page