building a cat condo - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

building a cat condo

OK - we have decided to build a cat condo - they are just too expensive to buy in Canada.

I went out last night and bought lumber (which the nice guy in home depot cut every piece to size for me for free , sono tube, I decided to go with shelving wood rather than plywood for the base just to make it a bit sturdier (which he also cut to size for me).

I have a few questions - I know some people on here have built them themselves, but what did you use to attach the carpet, especially to the inside of the tubes - if you used any?

Did you put the carpet on before or after assembling the pieces, I think I should wrap the pieces and then put it together, but my bf disagrees and he is the one that works in construction and SHOULD know best.

This is the one we are TRYING to make, its from HGTV:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Shopping So Far:

I used 2x6 in stead of 4" poles (which were very expensive) = $11 for 16'
3x5', 1x1' and 1x3' (to make it a bit sturdier, I am running another pole from the back left corner from the tube to the upper platform)

SonoTubing - 8' = $13 (only size it comes in and I think my BIG kitties need more than a 1' tube on each level

Shelving Wood = $7 for a 24" x 48" sheet (cut to make the base and platform)

Plywood for the house = $6 for a 24" x 48" sheet.

I just need the carpet, some glue and some L-Braces ($1 each) and I am ready to start

We have staples, screws etc at home because of my bf's job so I didn't have to buy any of that - so its going to be a low budget cat condo. We are looking at $70-$80 (would be about $100 if we had to buy everything but we have a lot of stuff at home)

If this all works out - I am going to make one for the local shelter too
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Cat Addict

I built my own -- or rather, still in the process of building my cat tree -- and I think you would carpet after putting it all together. I haven't gotten to the carpeted tubing part yet, but I was thinking of using a really strong glue and staple at the seam. Also, you can buy those big rolls of sisal rope and wrap some of the boards with the rope and some with carpet to give your kitties a little scratching variety. And maybe it's just me, but I had a hard time finding scrap carpet for cheap, which was another reason I went with the rope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

I'm not paying anything for the carpet.

One of the good things about working in the construction industry is you can get pretty much everything for free - one of the contractors who work for a company that we work for said I could have whatever he has in his truck, I just have to go by and see him, as long as i don't mind having more than one colour carpet as he isn't sure if the offcuts will be big enough to cover the whole thing (as they sell the bigger rolls of remnants).

I could have got pretty much everything at work - but I was in the mood to start yesterday and home depot will cut it all to size so i just went there.

i was thinking about making a kind of pillow case type cover and sewing it for the tubing - I don't want to glue the ends and have them look messy, so I would make the round pillow case and slip it over the tube then glue the bottom seam as it would be less noticeable.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Cat Addict

That's awesome about the carpet -- I went to one of those used carpet places and they had rolls for like $50 or something, and I just can't afford that, so sisal rope it is.

Some of the carpet on mine is fraying on the edges, so I think that's a good idea about putting something over it.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 12:53 PM

that sounds like a great plan! You'll have to post pictures of the finished product. I've often thought about building one....I just cant afford $300 or $400 for a cat condo! I'm not so handy though (meaning I'm a total klutz ).
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Well it SEEMS pretty simple so i should be OK - if not I will bring it to work - leave the plan in the warehouse with the parts for it and a case of beer and hopefully the guys will have done it for me by the time I go to see what all the noise is
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 10:46 AM

icklemiss....we made ours ourselves too.
I am babysitting right now...so I will get a pic later on.
Its pretty ok...nothing fancy like your is going to be.
But the cats seem to really enjoy it so far.

Oh and wrapping sisal rope HURTS!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 12:48 PM

If anyone has plans and pictures they want to share, that would be great. When we move, I would like to make one if we have the space!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Oh and wrapping sisal rope HURTS!
No kidding! Wear gloves if you have them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page