Signs of stress in cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Signs of stress in cats

Hello, my name is Melissa and I am new to the board. I have 2 cats: Angel - black and white (aka tuxedo cat), she is estimated to be 3 years old in June & CJ - butterfly tabby, he will be 1 year old in April. I am 19 years old and I was living with my dad up until February. Due to some circumstances my cats still live with my dad but I now live with my new husband and his family. I go and visit my cats whenever I get the chance, once every couple of days. Anyway, my question is, what are signs that a cat is under stress? I think that Angel is losing some weight and I'm kind of worried about it. She's not underweight or anything like that! As a matter of fact, she was a little over weight when I moved out so she's probably at a proper weight right now. Should I be worried if she loses anymore weight? If she is under stress, do you think that it has to do with me moving out? She still acts the same, she runs around the house when I come over and she meows for attention. Any help would be appreciated!

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Cat Addict

Well, when was the last time she was weighed? Do you have a pre-move out weight? If so, I'd check to see if her weight has actually changed. If you don't have a pre-move out weight, weigh her as soon as you can so that you can moniter her to see if she loses more weight.

Is your dad pretty observant about the cats? Can he tell you if her behavior when you're not around has changed? Those things can be so subtle that if he's not really her behavior, then...he might not notice those little things. You know, is she sleeping more than before, grooming herself more, hiding, etc.

If her behavior hasn't really changed, then has the care she's been getting changed? Did you feed her more (including scraps) than your dad is feeding her? Does he play with her and keep her more active than you did? Those could be valid reasons for the weight loss.

If her behavior really hasn't changed, then I'd just keep a watchful eye on her, weighing her anytime you come over. If she loses more weight, then I'd bring her to the vet.

If her behavior has changed, I'd bring her in and make sure she's not got some underlying illness and if she checks out okay and they think she's stressed, you can use Feliway or Spirit essences to try to de-stress her.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

I weighed her a few months ago, probably back in December just for the fun of it. She weighed 10 pounds then. I will go by tomorrow and weigh her and see if there is any difference in her weight.

My dad is not very observant of the cats. I don't think he would notice a change in their behavior at all. But if I asked him to pay attention to it, I know he would.

The only things I can think of that would have changed since I moved out would be 1) my dad probably plays with her LESS than I did and 2)he feeds the cats less than I did. But by that I mean each time he fills their bowls he only fills them about half full when I used to fill them completely full. But he fills it up each time it gets empty so they don't ever go without food.

Oh yeah, what are Feliway and Spirit essences?

I appreciate the help! I will ask my dad to keep an eye on her behavior for me I will weigh her periodically.

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Premier Cat

Kitty's Mom had excellent advice. Hopefully your fur kids are just missing you and there are no health problems causing this. Let us know what the vet says.

For being such independent creatures they are very attached to their owners/companions more than we realize. ! I hope one day you can have them with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page