Any tips for travelling with cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Any tips for travelling with cats?

Hi, I was planning on driving out to see my parents for march break and bring my cat Fenway with me. Problem is, the drive is 22 hours! Any tips on safe and healthy car travelling? Should I stop every two hours, and so on. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Cat Addict

How does your cat typically do on car rides? My cat does poorly on them and had no interest in food, water, or toilet when I was traveling with him. You might just want to stop when you need to and then offer food and water to him then. Get yourself a halter and leash (cats get out of collars far too easily to trust them) for when you want to take your cat out to use the toilet. Otherwise, I'd keep him in a carrier. It's just safer that way. Good luck!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 04:48 PM

When I had to drive back and forth from Chicago , IL to Columbus, ohio I let my cat roam usually she sat on my lap or the passenger seat. It was a 5 hour trip and she didn't use the toilet a single time when I stopped and let her out.

but yah definately a harness. I kept a litter box in my trunk too and put it out even though she never used it at the rest stops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 06:48 PM

I travelled from Los Angeles to Portland with a cat once. It wasn't that bad actually.

Here is some advice I have for you. To keep her stress free, spray some Feliway in her carrier. If you can't get Feliway, try using some lavendar oil dilluted in water. Spray it on a blanket in her carrier.

Something I find really helpful when travelling with a cat is freezing water bottles before the trip, then as they melt along the way you can give her fresh cold water. She will appreciate it.

Hope that helped!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 07:10 PM

Please be very careful of what type of harness you buy. I once bought one of figure 8 type harnesses to take my Mimi to the vet. She squirmed out of it in 2 seconds! She started to take off running & only by luck was I able to grab her by the end of her tail! Frightening because I was 5 miles from home & she would have been lost forever.

Try the harness at home first.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. I do have a cat harness that I tie him up in the yard with. I am very worried he will become dehydrated, or won't go to the bathroom because he will be so stressed. I will definately take all of your suggestions!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 08:56 AM

I travel every year from Michigan to Florida and back. It's a two day trip (11 hours each day) I have two cats and a dog. We all do fine. I have purchased a large wire crate with plenty of room for both cats to comfortably lie down in and still have room for a litter box in the crate. For water I use a hanging water bottle like the ones used for hamsters. The food bowl is an old butter tub that I clip to the side of the crate with a pinch type clothes pin. Both cats wear harnesses (and yes be careful which one you buy) When we stop for potty breaks for us and the dog we let the cats out to stretch in shifts on a leash. Usually they are very afraid and want to go back in the crate after a few minutes. I'm sure they would be happier if we didn't take them along but I'm not going to leave them in someone elses care for six months. I try to desensitize them by taking several short trips with them (30 minutes or so) a week before we are scheduled to do the long drive. They cry for about 15 minutes then settle down and sleep until the car stops.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Premier Cat

Make sure you have your cats chipped and also having an ID tag with phone numbers you can be reached at even while traveling. God forbid they would escape ~ even at your parents~ but just to be safe.

Put a cat carrier out before you leave so they get familar with it and maybe even feed them in it. Put a piece of clothing with your scent on in the carrier while traveling. I know that conforts them. I would have a cat box out for them at all times. You could pull over and clean it if they use it!

Judy you sound like you have the routine down for all of them!

Good luck on your trip. Report to us how it went!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCExpat
We were still a little over cautious with the pills. He never just zonked out, and we could see him fighting the effects. "No, **** it, I'm ANGRY!" Generally, once the car had been in motion for a couple hours, he'd give up and go to sleep, but he was wailing for a while there. As for logistics, he wasn't much trouble. He's pretty good about holding his business until a proper litter box presents itself, so we didn't have to put him on a leash and walk him at rest areas - probably couldn't have done that anyway. We just took a small litter box with us. We'd plotted a course across the country with bed and breakfasts and places that would let us bring him in. We were also making a vacation of it, so we'd be on the road for a couple days and then we'd stay somewhere a couple days, which seemed to help him get over it. We eventually made it and he's no worse for the experience.
I drove from Washington State to Ohio with my cat. On the morning of the third day he got so angry that he poo'd on my traveling companion and then peed on me. I've never seen him that angry before or since. It's kind of funny now. I had to change my pants in the middle of a ritzy chicago suburb at 4:30 a.m. Luckily, I was wearing camo undies.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCExpat
Whoa! Is that him in your profile image? Yeah, he looks a cat you definitely want to stay on the good side of.

Don't let him fool ya. He's the biggest sweetheart you'll meet. I'll be home in the next half hour and he'll run to the door to greet me and beg to be picked up so he can try to shove his muzzle up my nostril.

We had Sabby on a leash and halter throughout the trip. He spent most of his time underneath the passenger seat. We should've known something was up when he started crawling on us. Hence, the recommendation for the carrier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page