New kitty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

New kitty

Hey all, I'm new here.

I was out to dinner with my friend, Lauren, this evening, and I said, "Why don't we go to Petland?" So we did. I go in and they have one kitten all by its lonesome. Six months old, male, looks just like my 8-month-old male at home (except it has long hair). So I pace around the store, and when they tell me they'll lower the price, I take him. I'm worried I made the wrong decision. He's like the polar opposite of my cat now, which isn't a bad thing. My cat now is extremely hyper, and this new one is very scared.

I'm just worried it was a bad decision because I live in an apartment where I'm not even supposed to have animals (even though there isn't carpet and I have Oliver (earlier cat) declawed and am going to get Leo (new cat) declawed). I go home every weekend (I'm in college) and I take Oliver, so now I'll have to take Leo, sneaking them out to my car. And now Leo is going to be terrified also when we get home with the chihuahua and feist. (Oliver loves those dogs though.. see? opposites.) Then, I was going to take Oliver with us to FLorida for vacation this summer, but I don't know about two cats and two dogs in the same van. I just worry this was a bad decision. But I know that Oliver will probably be happy to have a playmate.

Currently Leo hasn't used the litter pan or ate yet.. I'm having trouble getting him out from under the bed because he's so afraid. Still trying! Any tips would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 11:32 PM

I would try and seperate the new one....maybe in a bathroom? Give him his own litterbox and food so that he can get settled and slowly let him get used to coming out and exploring....
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 11:34 PM
Cat Addict

Hi, and welcome to the forums. A smooth introduction will really help the two cats become pals. Here's an article on the subject. http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions

You can also view some of the other articles on the site by visiting this link.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

Take care,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Yeah, I've actually made a bit of progress already. They've been playing, quite rough albeit. Leo has used the litterbox, and I had to take Oliver out because he was staring Leo down. (Oliver thinks he's a dog.. he is a very strange cat.) Leo just seems so scared of me. He runs under the bed if he sees me move.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 11:43 PM

Declawing is SO CRUEL...why would you want to put your new cat through that horrible, PAINFUL surgery?!?
http://littlebigcat.com/index.php?actio ... w&item=002

There are so many other things you could do. Soft Paws is one... www.softpaws.com

I sure hope you look into alternatives

Abhay
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Hi,
I appreciate your opinion, but don't worry.. my spoiled kitties are just fine.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ningirl
Hi,
I appreciate your opinion, but don't worry.. my spoiled kitties are just fine.
Right, I really call de-clawing a cat "spoiling" it Doesn't even sound like you did research, just want to de-claw right away. Cruel...

Abhay
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

No, actually, I did tons of research. Tons. It's a bit offensive that it is my first time on the forum and I'm already greeted with such impoliteness. Please don't assume things before you post them. I understand that declawing is a controversial issue, so let's respect one another's opinions and options.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Cat Addict

Now now, Abhay, that's no way to welcome a new user to the forum.

You can encourage her to look up information on de-clawing but she'll never listen to those types of remarks. Remember, you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

This thread will not turn into a de-claw argument. Period.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ningirl
No, actually, I did tons of research. Tons. It's a bit offensive that it is my first time on the forum and I'm already greeted with such impoliteness. Please don't assume things before you post them. I understand that declawing is a controversial issue, so let's respect one another's opinions and options.
I am not a nice person...ask everyone here

I feel VERY sorry for your cat. Both will have to go through life in pain

Don't worry, I made my point, and now I will go and kiss all my kitties toes. Because I love them just the way they were made, and wouldn't change them for the world.

Abhay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page