Snickers is acting strangely - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Snickers is acting strangely

Yesterday, Pumpkin and Pepper got spayed. They went to the vet early in the AM and didn't come home until dinnertime, after which I closed them in their room for the night so they could recover quietly.

Snickers seemed very lonely without them all day. Today, however, he is hissing, growling, and swatting at them!!!

I can't figure out why. He acted like this when they were new but that stopped months ago. I wonder if perhaps they smell medicinal or like other animals after spending a day at the vet. He acts as if he doesn't know them!! I feel sorry for the kittens who are trying to be friendly.

Any thoughts?

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Banned

This is pretty common when a cat comes back from the vet. Maybe they just smell different and the cat that stayed home thinks the cat that came back is a strange cat. Should get over it in a day or so.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Cat Addict

Cats recognize their buddies entirely by smell. Pumpkin and Pepper came home smelling different, like the vet. A reintroduction may be in order to get them all friendly again.

Good luck!

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...tintroductions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Cat Addict

This is typical. The cats went away and came back smelling really weird. Like other cats and medicine and antiseptic, etc. So the cat that stayed behind is reacting as if he doesn't know those girls.

The usually you just have to fix the smell and then they realize who those strange cats are...his friends. So, just make the cats smell like each other (this is where I always imagine rubbing together two fighting cats ). Rub a blanket on the boy, then the girls, then the boy again. Put a drop of vanilla between the shoulder blades of all three and you should have them recognizing each other in no time.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Really, vanilla? Wow, I have no idea how that works but it sure sounds simple enough!! I'll try it and the blanket trick.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. Hopefully we can return to a peaceful state soon

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page