Help! Kitten may have ingested something toxic! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1
Help! Kitten may have ingested something toxic!

Hi - I live on a remote island and our only vet has gone away on his annual vacation. Anyway, I recently adopted a small kitten between the age of 1 to 1.5 months. He came to us full of fleas and I really tried to get some anti flea shampoo or spray for kittens. Keep in mind that anything you recommend, I do not get here, we have to wait for the ferry every ten days and our only store here sells groceries, supplies, medicine, fresh food etc so I was really at the end of my tether as to what to use to get rid of the fleas. Finally last night my friend suggested that I use a shampoo that we use here to get rid of lice - she told me to dilute it and bath the kitten in that.

So this afternoon I put some in a basin, poured in warm water and then paused to read the bottle where it said 'It is toxic if ingested. Keep away from food, drink, pets and children.' So I poured it out of the basin and rinsed it two or three times to get rid of the shampoo solution. I rinsed it until there was no more soapy feel to the basin. Then I put in some very mild blackberry shampoo that I myself use and poured warm water in and put him in that. When I wrapped him in the towel my husband and I were picking fleas off him and putting them in the water in the basin to drown. Afterward I rubbed him with a wet towel to get the soap off his body and he started to groom and lick himself and then he drank some milk and now he is sleeping.

Here's my worry. I'm afraid that I may not have rinsed the toxic shampoo out of the basin properly and that traces might have still been in the basin as I didn't clean the basin with soap before pouring in the new shampoo and then washing him. Since he's been licking himself so much and grooming himself although I did wipe him once with a wet towel I'm scared that he might have ingested it. It's more than two hours since all this and he's sleeping. If he'd ingested anything toxic or if he was in any danger surely it would have showed up by now?

Please tell me if I should worry or if you think he isn't in any danger. He's looking fine at the moment and he played and drank milk and he is sleeping. I'm really worried so any replies appreciated, thanks in advance.
Raven is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 05:25 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,679
Just keep a very close eye on him. If he starts to show any signs at all of being ill, lethargic or not himself, you are going to have to be ready to get him to a vet somewhere else. Poisons act very quickly.

Good luck, and make sure you get him some proper flea/worming treatment!

Ems
emma_pen is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 05:34 AM
Premier Cat
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,278
As emma said thats the best you can do in your situation.
I suggest you dont wash your lil guy in this again either because of the risks.
Is there anyway when the ferry comes you can get some flea treatment?
Zalensia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 05:43 AM
Jr. Cat
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 79
If your kitty were to have a reaction from the shampoo you would see neurologic signs soon after. Some of the signs would be tremors (quick small jerks of the body) salivating excessivly and your kitty would appear to be stumbling about. Seizures are also a symptom you may have seen. I would wait till your vet gets back from his vacation and buy some shampoo that is safe for kittens and cats and just keep a bottle of it on hand in case you ever need it again.
MarkT is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 11:11 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,974
Raven, what island do you live on? Can you get mail order there? Can you order from the Internet?

If you can, I would order Frontline Plus online.

Wish you luck!
pookie769 is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 10:44 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 12,647
How's your kitty today?
coaster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome