The Cruelty of Canned Hunting! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
The Cruelty of Canned Hunting!

I received this request from a friend today. Please read it. I hope you'll also notify your senators. The form is included, and so is a link to discover who your senators are. Thank you.

Dear Friend,

I thought you might be interested in this HSUS campaign to stop
canned hunting - the abhorrent practice of confining exotic
animals in an enclosed space with no chance of escape and
shooting them at close range. If you go to the URL below you can
find out more about this issue and send your own message
directly to your Senators. Please go to the action alert from
The HSUS at

http://hsus.ga4.org/campaign/stopcanned ... vhGS1AQDOW

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Premier Cat

Message sent, Jeanie.
Canned hunts are criminal as far as I'm concerned.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 06:01 PM

This practice is a VERY sore point with me.

Do you know where they get the exotics for these so-called canned "hunts" (now there's a misnomer if I ever heard one)?
The majority come from our beloved zoos! These animals are relatively tame & have no fear of humans. Most of them won't even run when they see a human because they have never learned to fear man. Alot of these animals are old & the zoos want to replace them with cute, cuddly baby animals. The zoos are perfectly aware of what they are doing & procede to do it anyway.

Several years ago a Network TV station in Chicago ran an investigative report on those canned hunt places. At the time most of them were in Texas (is anyone Not surprised at that?). The reporter took movies of one "big, bad, white hunter, manly man" (I'm dripping with sarcasm here). He had chased a big horned mountain sheep to the end of the enclosed area. The sheep stopped at the fence & just stood there. The "he-man" was using a bow & arrow to down the poor beast. He was maybe 30 ft. behind him & just kept shooting arrow after arrow into the sheeps hindquarters!! NOTE: you can NOT kill an animal by shooting him there. All the sheep did was quiver & shake with each hit. Later the reporter said the guy didn't want to mess up the front part of the sheep 'cause he wanted to mount the head & save as much of the coat as he could for a rug.

I'll tell you, I was never so upset in my life after seeing that footage. I cried & cried for days. I hope to God there will be a very special place in h*ll for that monster & all others of his ilk.

I urge everyone who reads this to go to the above link & register.

Thanks to all who do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 06:20 PM

I am so mortified when I hear of animal cruelty like this. It scares me to think of what we don't see or know about

Unfortunately I am not eligible to participate because I am in Canada.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Pookie 769 wrote:

Quote:
The reporter took movies of one "big, bad, white hunter, manly man" (I'm dripping with sarcasm here). He had chased a big horned mountain sheep to the end of the enclosed area. The sheep stopped at the fence & just stood there. The "he-man" was using a bow & arrow to down the poor beast. He was maybe 30 ft. behind him & just kept shooting arrow after arrow into the sheeps hindquarters!!
What kind of a "man" does it take to have that kind of courage? It's absolutely nauseating. And to use animals who were raised to trust people? (zoo animals) How cowardly! The whole thing is so cruel it's beyond description...because it's beyond my imagination...

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie769
Do you know where they get the exotics for these so-called canned "hunts" (now there's a misnomer if I ever heard one)?
The majority come from our beloved zoos!
This is very true, especially with the larger animals that are harder to breed on the "reserves." A lot of gmae reserves advertise many exotic deer and sheep species, but they do have other animals available upon request, like Big Cats, other large carnivores, and Rhinoes. <--Those come from zoos.

When animals get too old to breed, they are useless to the Zoo because they are no longer "cute" babies nd can no longer produce "cute" babies for the public to come see. So they are deemed "surplus" animals and sold to brokers, who auction them off to the highest bidders. Alot of those bidders are people who run Canned Hunts.

The hunts with deer and sheep species are legal, and this is why there are so many game reserves across the country (there are 20+ in my section of Michigan alone). The canned hunting of the carnivores and other such animals is illegal and unadvertised, and in the view of the government, does not exist.

**edit. It's a very sore subject with me, not only in the general cruelty of it, but also having to deal with people at the refuge this summer. Either they thought all our animals came from Zoos or were on their way to Zoos... Or else they were steaming mad that we didn't have gorgeous, million dollar exhibits like the Zoos (well, sir, do you know where the Zoos get the money to build the exhibits for their young, fertile animals?). Frustrating.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

This makes me want to rant, rave, and cry--all at the same time. God help our animals!

Jeanie

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 04:25 PM

this kind of crap sickens me...i would love to can hunt a human, the great white hunter that can hunts these poor animals...i could go on and on...

someone sent me an email with a lion can hunt, and the lion attacked the hunter right before the lions death...i cried...it is so sickening...

the messege has been sent from me also!!!

this needs to stop!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Premier Cat

Yup, I remember seeing a shot on the news of a canned hunt a couple years ago. This poor black leopard, obviously scared to death, in a small cage and the hunters waiting to shoot it.
I am not sure if they showed the entire sequence of events because I had to turn it off. The thought of it and just what little I saw made me absolutely sick. I couldn't get that cat's face out of my thoughts for days....
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Banned

I already posted about this in the lounge section .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page