I woke up yesterday morning and my 3 baby kittens were dead. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

I woke up yesterday morning and my 3 baby kittens were dead.

On February 18, 2005 our outside female cat had a litter of kittens fathered by our outside male cat. There were 3 of them. They were so cute and sweet. We kept them outside in a large doghouse lined with soft fuzzy blankets right outside our back door. We live out in the country, but we have several neighbors up and down our road. When I woke up early Friday morning to check on the kittens, 2 of them had just vanished and 1 of them was laying dead with a small bite mark on the top of his head. The mother and father cat were still there and doing fine. Needless to say my daughter was devestated. I guess I am just looking for some answers as to what may have happened to them. At first I thought a coyote or something was the culprit, but I figured if that was the case then a coyote would've killed them 2 weeks ago or more. Then I got to thinking about the fact that I had seen a black and white strange acting tom cat lurking around our back yard the day before. Someone told me he may have killed my kittens. I blame myself of course because I didn't keep them inside our house, but I tried that and it didn't work because we have a neutered indoor male cat. When I had brought them indoors.. the mother cat kept jumping on my indoor cat when he tried to come in the living room, so I moved them back outside. Today, that black and white strange acting male cat was back and biting on the neck of my female. He even had her pinned up in the windowsill outside of the house. Do you think he is the one that killed her babies? Please respond, any input is welcome. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Yes, it is VERY possible that the other tom killed the kittens. It is also possible that if he is not neutered, he could impregnate your female again, and you'll have more kittens on your hands. Your cats should both be fixed immediatley, to prevent any MORE problems... (and I'm sorry about the kittens, I know how sad that is to find! )

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about your kittens. So sad. But yes, sounds like another cat or animal got to them and the mom and dad might have known another animal was coming and were able to run off but the kittens probably weren't able to. I'm very sorry for your loss. Hang in there!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 12:08 AM

They should have never been outside. Outside kittens are a death sentence Plus, we have enough unwanted kittens in this world...PLEASE get them fixed!

Abhay
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittles
They should have never been outside. Outside kittens are a death sentence Plus, we have enough unwanted kittens in this world...PLEASE get them fixed!

Abhay
I'll second that.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

I think everyone can agree that the cats should be spayed and neutered but the poor girl just had 3 of her pets die overnight! We should be sympathetic rather than preaching to her at this point....
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 01:01 AM

You're right....I didn't mean to come off like that...just wanted to encourage her to get her other cats fixed.

Teisha888- I AM sorry about the kittens... I know how sad that must have been...*hugs*
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

those kittens were not unwanted, we wanted them. we were gonna keep one and we had already found good homes for the other two, people we knew that wanted a new kitten for their home. i know i should have had them in, and i have learned from that experience. the problem with having them inside was that the mother kept attacking my male indoor cat who is neutered. i sincerely hope that the female does get pregnant again, so we can start over with a new litter. after that, i will have her spayed. my 4 year old daughter was taking such good care of them and her heart was shattered upon finding her little cat family dead. she was learning so much about how their little eyes open and everything.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 01:08 PM

If it happens again, maybe keep the mom and kittens in a room by themselves where the indoor cat can't get in, then you don't have to worry about fights.
Also, I'm not sure about cats but I know with some animals even the father can't be trusted around babies.
Jennifer
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 03:19 PM

Sorry, but I really don't think you should be allowing your female cat to get repeatedly pregnant. She has just gone through the trauma of pregnancy, labour, rearing her kittens and now losing them, to go through half of that again? Poor cat

Since your cats live outside and your cat has been mated by this stranger tom, your female, unneutered male and kittens could be infected with a disease called FIV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page