Shelters adopting out at PetSmart - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Shelters adopting out at PetSmart

Are there rules as to the overall health of the cats should be? Brandon and I always look at the kitties that are there (feeling so sad that I can't take in another one right now) and there was this gorgeous long haired gray cat, but as it was cleaning itself in the nether regions, we noticed two puncture wounds in the flesh that connects from the pelvis to the legs.

That has been bothering me since Saturday. The wounds were noticeable (Brandon about gagged), so I'm not sure why they would have had the cat there for adoption if there are noticeable wounds. I was going to tell someone but the person from the shelter wasn't there at that time (dunno where the person was *shrug*).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:24 AM

They would have to follow the general rules that shelters follow, some Petsmarts, the animals go back to the Shelter at night. My local shelter also adopts out at all the other local petshops too.

I have never seen any of the animals with any wounds other than those indicated on their website that the animal came to the shelter with... there was one at my local shelter last week that had lost his eye and it wasn't stitched up very well... but by the time I seen him at petsmart he had obviously seen a vet.

If you are concerned I would definitely call the shelter
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Banned

I considered a Petsmart cat once and what I learned is that Petsmart only provides the space, everything else is up to the shelter that places the animals there. Therefore to answer your question about rules, no, not from Petsmart's side. It all depends on the standards and policies of the local shelter. Which as you know, can vary from one extreme to another. So if there's a problem, you'd have to deal with the shelter itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
I considered a Petsmart cat once and what I learned is that Petsmart only provides the space, everything else is up to the shelter that places the animals there. Therefore to answer your question about rules, no, not from Petsmart's side. It all depends on the standards and policies of the local shelter. Which as you know, can vary from one extreme to another. So if there's a problem, you'd have to deal with the shelter itself.
Yeah, I was afraid of that. It's the same shelter I got my first kitten from (Rain). They gave him to me, didn't tell me that a lot of the cats there were sick, and within two weeks, and after $200+ in vet bills, he passed on. The day after he died, there was an article in the local papers about a pneumonia and feline distemper outbreak in the shelter. They didn't even warn me. Just said that he was too young to get neutered.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 10:00 AM

Around here Petco and Petsmart simply allow the adoption organizations to use there space, as mentioned above. My sister has given several cats to one of the organizations (PAL) and a local Humane Society. They adopt out using Petco. PAL made sure that all animals tested neg. for Feline Leukemia, spayed/neutered, dewormed and gave the vaccinations to her kitties before putting them up for adoption. On her special needs cat, they even performed a $400 surgery to remove an infected eye. Find out what organization is hosting the event because it could be any number of places. Then find out about that organization.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 10:01 AM

Distemper is horrible, but you can't blame the shelter. Distemper takes anywhere from 2-14 days to start showing signs...so if they didn't see any, they wouldn't know he had it.

Since he was a kitten, he probably wasn't finished with the kitten series of vaccines, so he was not fully protected.

I'm sure the shelter had a good reason to show the cat you saw.

Take Care,
Abhay
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittles
Distemper is horrible, but you can't blame the shelter. Distemper takes anywhere from 2-14 days to start showing signs...so if they didn't see any, they wouldn't know he had it.

Since he was a kitten, he probably wasn't finished with the kitten series of vaccines, so he was not fully protected.

Take Care,
Abhay
I really hope so. I know people who have gotten completely healthy cats from there, but I've also heard others that had my issue. (I got Scotty from a shelter in the next county)

My only fear is that they 1) didn't know the cat this weekend had the wounds or 2) knew but didn't care. I really hope it's the former.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Maybe they didn't know but I hope they offered you another kitty or some kind of refund. Sully came from the SPCA and I had 3 months to return/exchange him if things did not work out and if he was sick they would offer my money back.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyO
Quote:

Maybe they didn't know but I hope they offered you another kitty or some kind of refund. Sully came from the SPCA and I had 3 months to return/exchange him if things did not work out and if he was sick they would offer my money back.
I got the adoption fee back. They didn't give me the "free first vet visit" thing they were supposed to, because, "We don't give those out when the kittens aren't spayed or nuetered." And their website adamantly states that they "Don't adopt out kittens that aren't sterilized." but they gave out kittens that were "too young" without sterilizing them. So, I didn't get reimbursed for the first vet visit, even though I had him in there within three days. =o( The whole ordeal just broke my heart.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 11:16 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about you bad experiance.

I remember when I went into petco I saw some cats and asked for the shelters and just visited the shelters directly myself because I figured if that particular cat came from whatever shelter it would of been the same thing going to the shelter as it would of been adopting it at the petco.

I feel really Lucky to be in Columbus where so far all the shelters I've been to have been really clean and well set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page