Bought a new house need advice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Bought a new house need advice

Hello, we just purchased a new home!

We (husband, son, Monte, two snakes and I). We will be moving mid April. Monte is a male unaltered kitten and he will be almost 6 months old when we move. We have breeder rights with him and know a Responsible Sphynx Breeder in the area and she wants to use Monte for Stud Service. Trust me I know about unwanted animals, I currently am fostering 2 snakes and have fostered animals in the past.

My questions is.......the current owners of the home we are purchasing have a cat (I will look tomorrow at inspection to see if it is male or female) and I am wondering if Monte is going to have any problems going into a home with "other" cat smells and if so what we can do to cut down on the stress on him. Monte adapts to situations very well, we even bring him to a local Nursing Home to visit and he loves all the attention! I am just worried about him stressing because of the other cat that lived there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Cat Addict

I just moved into a house that had a cat and dog, and I was worried about the same thing with my 3 and I already had 1 of them with litterbox issues. I bought a bottle of that 'Feliway' and used it like the instructions said and seems to have worked just fine, but I have no comparison data, i.e. what would have happened if I didn't use it. I had the carpets cleaned and cleaned all of the rubbing spots I could find. They adjusted just fine, the stairs and new noises took a little bit of work but they seem more comfortable less stressed now than they did in my other place.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Senior Cat

I used the Adjustment Essence from http://www.spiritessence.com

I mixed 2 droppers worth into a spray bottle of water, and spryed all over the place. I also sprayed my old place, the furniture and the cat carriers the day we moved. I seemed to really help.

I would also look into having any carpets there professionally cleaned before you move in. That way, if the cat that was there went in places unknown to the previous owner, you won't find Monte using them inappropriately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 03:26 AM

He might start spraying if he can smell another cat in his new territory, but then if you are keeping him entire long enough to use him for stud he might start spraying anyway - EEK! Hopefully he's young enough at the moment to adjust well to his new environment.

Ems
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. We were at the new house today and their cat is a spayed female (she was VERY cute). So I wonder what Monte will think about that??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page