Not eating or drinking, trouble with vet again - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Not eating or drinking, trouble with vet again

Not sure what section this would be put under, but If anyone has any suggestions or help, it will be greatly appreciated.

If you remember on my last post, i told you about the trouble we had with a certain vet here in orlando with a surgery gone wrong on one of our cats Genis. (who btw was selected has a semi finalist for a cat photo contest, but didnt win )

Our other cat Freya, is not doing so well. In the last few weeks she gave birth to 2 kittens, one died after the first night, the other had to be put to sleep because of a hole in the roof of its mouth which wouldnt allow it to retain any food or water. We only had the kittens for 3 days. A few days after the kittens were no longer in Freays presence, she began to act a lot differently. She seemed very depressed, would sleep all day and would eat and drink very little. Her behavior became worse and it came to the point where she would eat and drink absolutely nothing. We tried giving her lots of different foods, but she wouldnt eat anything. She weighed 9 pounds before birth, and is now 5 pounds a couple weeks later. Shes very skinny and can barely move. We took her to a new vet for the 2nd time today and they still dont know whats wrong with her. They took as much blood as they could to test for diseases, but didnt see anything wrong. Her blood cell count was normal and she tested negative for leikemia (sp.) The vet said that she was dehydrated and put fluids in her and fed her through a syringe to get something in her. We have to force feed her now every day to see if she gets better. They also told us there was no signs of a worm, and gave her deworming medicine, just in case. They did say it was possible for her to have a blood parasite, which they are testing her blood for now, and we are awaiting the results. If nothing works and she still isnt eating, then we believe the best for her would be to put her to sleep.

This is where the same vet that gave us trouble before comes in. We bought Freya from a Petland store here in Orlando. The animals that go through that store are tested for diseases, pregancy, etc by the vet that gave us trouble before they can be sold. What I dont understand is how they can say a cat that is 7 weeks pregnant with possible blood parasites is okay to be sold at a petstore? The new vet I go to explained that if it is blood parasites then you would be able to tell from birth, or a little time after. So why didnt the vet see this when they supposedly checked her before sale?

We went back to Petland and talked with the owner who was also very confused, and at first didnt believe a word we said until I pulled out all her paperwork/receipts from vet visits. He then went on to tell that apparently this isnt the first time theyve had a problem with a certain doctor at that vet. If this isnt the first time, and no one has said anything before, then i believe that it should be the last time. I plan on writing a letter, email, and phone call to the florida vet board about this animal hospital, in hopes that things like this will not go overlooked, and i wouldnt mind seeing a certain vet doctor lose a license either.

I dont want to have to put any animal to sleep for any reason, but we dont know what else to do. I dont want to keep having to force feed her, but there isnt any other way she will retain food. If anyone knows an easier way, or certain foods we can try to get her to eat without having to wrap her up in a towel and force it in her mouth with a syringe.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks to everyone who reads it. Our cats have gone through so much because of stupidity and disregard from this vet, and i hope that it doesnt happen to anyone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 03:29 AM

What is Petland - a pet store? Thankfully, pet shops in England are not allowed to sell cats

I'm really sorry you've been through so much, and I can only hope that she recovers.

Ems
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 07:36 AM

I'm sure there will be someone woho can better assist you. My cats have never been ill, so I am not entirely sure. I know there is a high calorie food. I'm not sure what it is called, but I think you get it at the vet. I am sure someone knows what it is called. I also know that Nutrical is sold at pet stores and is a good supplement for calories for a sick animal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodgrl
I'm sure there will be someone woho can better assist you. My cats have never been ill, so I am not entirely sure. I know there is a high calorie food. I'm not sure what it is called, but I think you get it at the vet. I am sure someone knows what it is called. I also know that Nutrical is sold at pet stores and is a good supplement for calories for a sick animal.
Before Rain passed, my vet gave me nutrical as a supplement. It's not difficult to give, just plop some on the kitties nose and she should lick it off. If she's still grooming herself, you can put it on her paw too.

I'm soo sorry to hear about this. I know how heartbreaking it is to watch a seemingly healthy animal just fail. I tried to keep Rain alive for a week and a half and the poor thing just didn't have the strength to keep going.

I pray that your Freya turns around.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 08:23 AM
Premier Cat

I know you can report this to the State of Florida
Department that regulates the vets. My heart
goes out to you and your kitties. Im glad
you are going to make a issue of this cuz
maybe it will be stopped. This is so sad.

I hope you find answers for Freya and
she makes a come back.. Prayers &
white healing light being sent for her.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRagdoll
First, you said possible parasites.....have you yet confirmed?

As to putting her to sleep, I think you are premature. If there are parasites, they can be treated. However, she may just be very depressed from the recent events. I would either force feed her, use nutrical, or even have her fed by iv until it was determined for certain whether or not she is going to be able to recover and thrive.
Remember to read the whole post before you begin yours "I dont want to have to put any animal to sleep for any reason," is what i said, the thought of even doing that was given to us by the vet, who said told us the possibility of her having an uncurable disease. But that has yet to be confirmed.

As far as her eating, we have nutrical, the vet gave us. She swings her face away to any sort of food that we give her.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 03:23 PM

This may be silly, but....could she be depressed? Since she lost the kittens?
Maybe she could foster some?
Just a thought.
I hope everything goes well with her.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hana
This may be silly, but....could she be depressed? Since she lost the kittens?
Maybe she could foster some?
Just a thought.
I hope everything goes well with her.
its not silly, and anything is possible, but both of the kittens were born deform and she paid little attention to them, because of her animal instinct knowing there was something wrong. I believe she was also way to young to be taking care of any children.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 04:30 PM

She could also have a breast infection. Due to not having the kittens to nurse and draw the milk out. Had a cat once that this happened to and we almost lost her. One thing I don't understand it why did Petland adopt a kitten out without spaying her. PetSmart and PetCo here won't let you take a cat or dog that is not spayed or neutered.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I don't know if Petland is a chain, but I know we have a store here (SC) called Petland that two of my coworkers used to work at.

They sell "purebred" dogs and cats (although i don't know the specifics of the cats) and none of them are spayed/neutered. I actually think a lot of people buy these dogs and cats from pet stores hoping to breed them, which I think is completely irresponsible on the pet stores part (as well as customers, but you know). I'm all for adopting and think stores like Petsmart who have adoption programs are wonderful, but I'm completely against SELLING dogs and cats in a pet store.

ANYWAY - I don't know if I read your first post or not, but what I gather from this one... she was pregnant when you bought her and you didn't know it? Is the store offering you any sort of compensation for the vet bills you've had to pay because of this? I don't want to say a refund since you're keeping her... but I really don't think this should be your sole responsibility to pay for.

And the first vet you mentioned... why exactly are you upset with them? I'm a little confused about it... were they the vets who examined her while she was property of the pet store and either said she wasn't pregnant, or said she was and let them sell her anyway? I can understand why you'd be so upset and would have reason to report them... I'm just trying to get it all straight

How's she doing now? Any updates?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page