My cat won't go outdoors! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

My cat won't go outdoors!

Hiya!

My cat was a stray and because she was so scared we kept her indoors for 4 months before we tried to let her outdoors, however I stopped trying when she became very aggressive. She is a year and a half old and is a very scared cat and runs away when we just move about the house or when a new person visits. She has become a very loving cat and although she sometimes tries to bite when approached or whilst I'm petting her, she is a wonderful lap cat and will stay on my lap for ages to be petted or just to sleep. We have had her for 7 months and I have tried again to gradually take her outdoors into our garden everyday but she gets angry and scared and tries to run back into the house. She does pee and poo outside but then runs back to the door and cries to go back in. I've been gentle and stroked her and talked to her but when I put her down on the ground, she growls at me and runs away. She can be very irritating as she gets bored at home and runs around for attention, but she won't go outside. We do play with her but I believe she would be happier if she went outdoors as she would get more stimulation. Has anyone got any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
It seems to me like she's telling you she would NOT be happier outside! I wouldn't be surprised if she'd just had enough out there being a stray, and would be perfectly happy to never have to face the outside world again

If you make sure she has lots of stimulating toys, maybe a cat tree to play on, she can be perfectly happy inside. All of my cats are strictly indoor (that were once strays) and they seem to MUCH prefer being indoors to out, and I wouldn't DREAM of making them go out if they didn't want to. (Unfortunatley they DO want outside from time to time, so they go out supervised on a harness and leash)

My suggestion is to get her an indoor litterbox, and keep her where she so obviously prefers to be

Oh, and I think your kitty is VERY smart! The outside world, especially in an urban environment, is simply unsafe for cats to roam, she's not only happier, but SAFER inside

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:22 PM

Most of us keep our cats indoors and provide stimulation through play so I am no sure if we can be of much help.

With her personality the way you describe it, I wouldn't let her outdoors as she may not be able to look after herself properly.

During the Summer, I took two of my cats outside in the garden on cat harnesses but Scully & Bumper are big scaredy cats and don't even want to do that. (They did that four paw cling to the door kinda thing)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, I just feel sorry for her because we live in a small apartment with only 2 rooms. Unfortunately, she doesn't like to be put on the leash and won't walk around with it on. Is there anyway of making her feel comortable outside?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Cat Addict

My cat, a former stray, has virtually no interest in going outside. She likes to look out the window and smell the smells, but when given the chance to go out she'd rather not.

I wouldn't fight it, if she wants to stay in I'd let her. When she gets bored inside, I'd recommend pulling out a toy like 'Da Bird' and playing with her. It should be all the stimulation she needs.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:31 PM

I agree w/ vanillasugar- maybe she doesn't want to be outside.

The running around and acting like a fool sounds pretty typical for a cat her age. My cat reminds me of a little kid who is constantly saying "Hey, look at me!" She is constantly in my face and running around the house. Your cat is just young and has lots of energy. Like Vanillasugar said- get your kitty lots of toys and things that she can jump and play on.

She sounds like she is happy inside and has no interest in going back outside. She probably remembers what it was like to be homeless and has no interest in doing that again.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:53 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy07
Thanks for the advice, I just feel sorry for her because we live in a small apartment with only 2 rooms. Unfortunately, she doesn't like to be put on the leash and won't walk around with it on. Is there anyway of making her feel comortable outside?
Dont feel guilty! She's telling you that's where she'd rather be I would feel more guilty for making her do something she doesn't want to do! (go outside, in this instance). I know many people who have a cat (even 2!) in a STUDIO apartment! (ye know, one room with a bathroom). As long as you provide stimulation indoors for them *toys toys toys!!!* they are absolutley content and happy cats

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 03:07 PM

i have a kitten in a studio appartment, and he's perfectly happy. he's strictly indoors because we live downtown near lots of busy streets, but we just play with him a lot and he's fine.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 03:15 PM

I agree that she wishes to remain indoors only. Lizzy was an outdoor cat when we got her, and the only time she ever tried to even sneak back outside was when she was in heat before she got spayed. Try giving her a litterbox and some new toys that you can interact in a positive way that excites her and she if she improves. Many of our nieghbors leave their cat outside to fend for themselves, and they do not seem that happy to me.

My place is not that awful large but my cats are fine. They argue a little in the evening, but in the morning all is well.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 05:44 PM

Hi Suzy07, I live in a one bedroom apartment and Denzel's happy. I keep some toys in the bathroom, bedroom and in the main living area, but I make sure I change them around or hide some for a while and then replace them so he doesn't get bored with the same toys. He's got the bedroom window sill to sit on and watch whats happening outside. I really wouldn't be concerned about your cat being in a small apartment at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page