rehouse training *sigh* - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

rehouse training *sigh*

hi im new to this board but i have a problem and hope maybe someone here can help...

My husband and i have 2 cats they are both about a year and a half old and when we first got them they were both potty trained... one was an abandoned kitten at about 1 month old... so we brought her in and took care of her when we showed her the litter box she took to it immediately never had a problem peeing anywhere but there... later we got our second kitten from someone in the newspaper and she had already been potty trained... so we had no problems... however this last christmas we went back to colorado for a visit and asked our roomate to take care of them... well he decided he didnt like litter box and changed it only 1 time at the end of 2 weeks... needless to say our cats werent happy and decided to show it by peeing anywhere BUT the litter box... since then we cant seem to get them to stop peeing on our carpet and chairs and frankly im getting very irratated by the smell of my house... i get embarrassed to have friends over...

the kittens litter box is in our bathroom as well as their food and water so during the day while we are at work (i work only about 5 hours) we put them in the bathroom but i dont feel right about leaving them in there all the time just so they will pee in the litter box... does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrain our cats? im at the end of my rope...

thank you very much

Eccko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
The first VERY important step, is to clean all the areas that they've peed with an enzyme cleaner. Without this, they can still smell their scent on these areas, and will continue to think that it is an OK place to pee. There is a sticky at the top of the Behaviour as well as the Health and Nutrition boards, that will help you thoroughly clean your house.

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 05:42 PM

Dont feel guilty at all for putting them in the bathroom!
That is the right thing to do in order to retrain a cat.
Follow all the rules on how to eliminate the smell.

Make sure they dont have any bladder infections too.
Now that bad habits have started....you may need to offer more litterboxes as well. I wish you the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Banned

Re: rehouse training *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccko
the kittens litter box is in our bathroom as well as their food and water
Looking for clues here...don't know if you meant that only while you're gone or all the time. One thing about cats is that they don't like to do their business where they live (eat & sleep & play). If your bathroom is their dining room, they're not going to also want to use it as their bathroom.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 08:21 PM

That all depends on the size of the bathroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page