new post-op cat and introduction troubles..any help welcome! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to clarissa
new post-op cat and introduction troubles..any help welcome!

Hello all!!

I just adopted a new cat (Mella) and am getting a little worried about her condition, as well as my first resident cat (Lexie). Mella was just spayed on wednesday morning, so its been about 2 days since her surgery, but she's pretty lethargic and barely eating/drinking. She's peed once but no defecation. She is rather placid, hasn't explored around her confined room, and basically just sleeps or sits. Is this normal?? She was pretty emaciated before her spay, as she just had a litter of kittens and is very small in stature.

Lexie is soooo curious and will not leave the other side of Mella's door - she's either purring or meowing or scratching at the door jam. I tried to pet her once while she was outside the door, and she went psycho kitty on me and attacked my hand. Why is she so interested while Mella is so noncholant or afraid??

Any answers or advice would be greatly appreciated!! I'm hoping to make this introduction as pleasant as possible, though Mella's health right now is a big concern.

Thanks guys!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Cat

updated to add a picture of Mella:

and of course the resident cat Lexie!:

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 10:07 PM

Well I am by no means an expert but I will share my experiences with you. Tasha was my first kitty and a month later we brought home Angel. Angel was scared and wanted nothing to do with Tasha. We took Tasha in a couple weeks later to get spayed. While she was gone Angel was a very happy kitty because she now had nothing to worry about and in the short time Tasha was gone Angel became "queen". When I brought Tasha home I tried to let her out of her carrier in the bedroom where she usually sleeps and she freaked out and ran down to the basement. I made the mistake of not closing the door. Angel started bullying Tasha. Tasha stayed behind the toilet in the basement for 3 days and would not come out or eat and seemed petrified. I had to go down and sit beside her and try and feed her anything I could, chicken, tuna whatever she would try. After 4 days she started eating and I managed to get her to lay on a blanket so I could scoop her up and move her into the bedroom. She "hibernated" in the bedroom for over a week, she slept a lot but started eating again. She was very miserable and you could touch her at all!

I talked to the vet and they basically gave me sh*t. It is not good to have them get that lethargic, they said I should have come and they would have given me some high calorie food to make sure she was getting the proper nutrition so she was able to recover. So I would do whatever you have to do to make sure she eats ASAP.

Now when Tasha recovered she took over as being "queen" but when cats are not 100% they hide, especially if you have another cat. Please keep them separated until she has recovered from being spayed. Lexie may pick on her when Mella is like this and it is very stressful for her.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for the reply samantha!! I think i'm kind of in the same boat that you were in since both my babies are adults, around 2-2.5 years old. How long did Tasha's recovery take?? I'm wondering how long i have to keep them separated for, since it's getting really hard to keep Lexie away!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 11:07 PM

not too long a week to get up and going and 2 weeks to be queen again! Yeah, my babies are not kittens that's for sure, 2 to 5 years old. Makes life a little hard sometimes! They all came with a different background.

BTW, beautiful kitties, I love up close shots!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat

well I took her to the vet anyways, since she wasn't drinking anything, and they gave her a shot to reduce the inflammation around her sutures as well as some Hill's a/d canned food. Right now she still looks really ill, and is just sleeping and hissing at the other cat when she hears her coming.

As an aside, i thought the vet was terrible, i was charged for the visit despite her lethargy being due to the spay, and despite that the receptionist told me on the phone that this would be a free courtesy visit.

sigh....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 11:49 PM

I hope things are going better for your new kitty. She looks like a lynx point almost like Chloe. Chloe had her spay surgery a week ago, and is now totaly back to normal. Hang in there, I hope she will be ok too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page