BIG PROBLEM! need help (cat wont use the litter box content) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

BIG PROBLEM! need help (cat wont use the litter box content)

Hey guys I'm new here.

I have 3 cats who I love dearly, but in the last months 1 of them stopped defecating (BM) (excuse my language) in the litter box. Almost every morning when I wake up I find feces on the floor right NEXT to the litter box. I have not been sure who it was and I have tried to lock them in the bathroom overnight to isolate them so I can tell, but they get upset and I cave and let them out. Today some suspicions lead me to believe it may be Daisy.

My problem is I am moving in with a friend in the next few weeks who isn't very fond of Daisy, (she is the introvert of my cats- she is only very sweet and loving to me, and runs and hides from most everyone else) and she is saying that if it is her who is the one doing it she will not let me bring her to the apartment. I cannot just get rid of 1 of my babies. I have been dealing with this for so long because the litter boxes are in the basement so it has just been easier to clean it instead of really getting down to the problem. It is my own fault this has been going on but now it is time to really do something about it, I cannot lose 1 of my cats over this.

so someone PLEASE help me.. any advice

-Has this happened to anyone else?
-Do you know why a cat might do this?
-What can I do to prevent her from doing this?

PLEASE any help I would appreciate.. and I apologize if a similar topic was posted before.. I did a search and couldn't find anything useful and really need help it's coming down to the wire.

~Mrs. Dave Matthews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 01:17 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
If you are finding the feces right very close to the litter box, I think she just missed the box. Get a large plastic mat, and just clean the feces off the mat.

If you have changed brands of litter recently or the litter isn't absolutely spotless, some cats won't use it. In addition, declawed cats do not want to use a litter box, unless there is a special, soft litter. It hurts too much. I do hope you can solve this problem!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

thank you jeanie! daisy says thanks! does anyone else have any info i can use? has anyone else actually had them happen before

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Cat Addict

There is a special litter called "Cat Attract" that I used with my kittens when training them -- there is something in the formula that attracts kitties to the box. See if that helps...also, make sure you clean the area where she has been going with an enzymatic cleaner -- a favorite around here is Nature's Miracle. Because she has used the floor before and can smell her poo when it's time to go, she thinks this is the place for her to go. Check the behavior section of the site for more litter box tips -- this is a common topic around here.

P.S. Daisy is so cute!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:20 PM

My cat is long-haired and has a very furry bottom. Often, after he has used the box, he will drop one last poop on the mat outside the box. I just kinda sticks to him. He's getting his backside trimmed soon, but I wonder if that might be the problem. It's not the whole BM, just one little poo. If that's the case, then a haircut may be in order.

Good luck with your babies! (And yes, get a mat for next to the litterbox.)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 10:29 PM

Is the box covered? How big is the box? You may need to go bigger. I have three boxes. All three are covered, but two of them actually have doors on them so if they are in the box, nothing gets out.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 12:23 AM

My Devon Rex occasionally will do that, put a mat under the box...one that extends out from the box. The enzymatic cleaner did nothing to deter him from using anywhere but the box (but it did help when cleaning) we've given up on him....we think it's a combo of him being old (around 15) and the fact that he was locked in a basement for a few years before we adopted him. I really hope that your problem gets solved! Good luck!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 12:58 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
he was locked in a basement for a few years before we adopted him
Irish, that is awful!!! Some people are so cruel
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 04:39 PM

I moved my second cat from Taiwan last August, and he had been pooping outside the litter box--on the sofa, in the bathtub, on the kitchen floor.
Until last month I finally switched to another kind of litter, thankfully he stopped doing that. Before I didn't know that I'm suppose to change litter was because he actually poopped in the litter box sometimes, and sometimes outside.
oh, and also the location. He likes a place where is kinda private but not too restricted (yeah, very complicated) cuz he's kinda big. I used to have a litter box which has a cover, I had to take the cover off and move the litter box in between the sink and the toilet. As you can imagine, it's a place where is surround by something but not too narrow. Now he is normal again.

Hope this info can somehow help you
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Cool Cat

I trim marsh's bottom every once in a while, he looks adorable with a butt-cut, it's sooo precious! I really think you can do this at home, you con't need a groomer - UNLESS you have a cat that maybe a little tough to handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page