Moving with a cat-need advice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Moving with a cat-need advice

I'm moving in 2 weeks, and need tips on how to move Gracie without stressing her out to much, and how to keep her safe doing it. I'm moving into a basement bedroom of a house. Also, what things should I make sure get brought with Gracie, what things should I do to ensure her safety, what can I do to keep her safe and out of the way to prevent her from getting outside while I move in the big furnature-I've never moved with a cat before and want to put Gracie's safety and happiness on the top of my priority list!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 01:57 PM

When I moved with two cats I kept them locked in the bathroom while moving. One time I also just kept my cat in the crate in another room. I think the safest place is just out of the way for them no matter how much they might cry.

Good luck with the move.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 02:07 PM

I've moved several times with my cats. If this is a short distance move, it's pretty simple then. Keep your cats locked up somewhere that no-one will be going in and out of. If you don't have anywhere that is completely safe, just keep them in a carrier.
In the past, when moving from one apartment to another, I've had the cats locked up while moving everything out of my apartment. Then once everything and everyone helping with the move was gone, I let the cats back out into the apartment. They get a little freaked out when everything is gone, but it's only for a little while-plus I left a blanket that they could snuggle in. Then I left the cats safely locked away in the first apartment and went to the new apartment to get the big stuff unpacked. Once the new place was to the point where I didn't need doors opened anymore, I went back and got the cats and brought them to the new place also.

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

I guess I should have been more specific about the distance of the move. I'll consist of a 2 1/2-3 hour car ride for Gracie(any tips on making that part of the move easier are welcomed! She's good in a carrier so far, but she's never been on a ride longer then the trip to the vet). Thank you for the tips so far!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Banned

Bring things with her AND your scent on it, both in the carrier, and in the new location.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 10:25 PM

Definitly keep her locked up either in a room or a carrier while moving things out of the old place and into the new place. That way you won't have to worry about her accidently sneaking out.

I would try and restrict food and water a while before leaving. I made a move from Michigan to Florida with my cats. I took food up the night before and water several hours before. I had one potty accident in the carrier. Lucky it was solid and easy to clean up. That was the first hour of the trip When I was evacuating for the hurricane I didn't have time to prepare ahead and didn't get a chance to take food and water away. Needless to say, we had a few accidents in the carriers

You can try spirit essence for adjusting to the move. I beleive they have one called adjustment, which is for moving.

http://www.spiritessence.com/?action=ca ... tegory=fec
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Premier Cat

Lydia be sure Gracie is chipped and has a collar with tags with your phone numbers where you can be reached even when traveling.

Until there is no one going in and out of the apt keep her in the carrier with a tshirt with your scent on it to comfort her away from all the activity.

Then take her out and let her sit on your lap and get off when she is ready. Stay in her sight while she explores so she can feel safe. Congrats on your new digs! Im glad you now have your kitty with you.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Actually, the furnature will be all new to her as well unfortunatly. Right now my mom has her, I had to move here without her, and now I've finally found a place where I can have her again. For me, the move is easy, just across town, for her as I said earlier, it's alot longer of a move. I'll have to look into that essance stuff, I've had good success with that with my dog, so I don't see why it wouldn't help her!

I just ordered her new ID tag today, she'll definatly be wearing the collar and tag when she moves, and I'll check into microchipping. I had to have my dog redone when we moved here, because she shelters here scan for a different frequency chip then where I moved from, so I might wait until she's here to get her chipped so I don't have to stress her out doing it twice. A well check after a move that distance isn't a bad idea anyway!

Gracie's use to walking on a harness, so she'll definatly get the chance to get out and move around a little bit about half way through the trip, and I'll make sure there's a litterbox in her carrier, I never even thought about that! Thank you for that tip!

Thank you everyone for the tips to getting her adjusted to the new place and for making the move easier! If I can get the landlord to let me, I'll go set up a room for Gracie before I go pick her up so there's somewhere for her to be safe while the rest of my stuff is being moved in.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 09:11 PM

Is it possible for you to have everything done before you go get your cat?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunatly, no My car is dying, so I have to get a ride from a friend and the same weekend I'm moving is the only time she has to go down there with me. I can start moving things the day before I go get her, so I'm going to try to have one room set up for her at least, and she can stay in there while I move in everything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page