Should I worry about my cat attacking a cat stuffed toy? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Should I worry about my cat attacking a cat stuffed toy?

My boyfriend and I (mostly I) are set on getting Kilala a playmate and new love in our lives when we move in together sometime in December. I feel like Kilala has read our mind because over the past couple days I notice him attackin my toy cat. It's this collector GUND orange striped Tabby that looks alot like a real cat it was even made to be the same proportions.

Well Kilala will run up to my bed and whap it in the face and start to wrestle with it, then afterwards he always stops and licks it's face before he runs away. Sometimes he will come up and lick it's face before he starts the attack. This is also a toy he has NEVER suckled on.

Just wondering if this points to anything that I maybe should reconsider of getting another kitty.

Here's him caught in the act
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Banned

Just put it somewhere out of reach if you don't want it attacked. Otherwise just make sure it doesn't get shredded into bite-size pieces that could be swallowed.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:36 PM

well i have a similar problem with one of my boys. Only he's not beating it up as much as he's "trying to have fun" with it. If you know what I mean. No matter where I put it, he finds it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Cat Addict

Maybe he considers it a toy?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

but do you all think this might be a sign of things to come with getting another kitty.

I usually keep him locked out of my room during the day so he only has use of the toy cat in the evenings
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Cat Addict

I'm not sure why he goes for a particular stuffed animal, but maybe he is bored, and because it is his size/shape, he is trying to make a friend!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornangel012
but do you all think this might be a sign of things to come with getting another kitty.
No, I'm QUITE sure he knows it's not another cat. Probably treating it as play/prey.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
With the licking before/after the swapping, that's usually a sign of play. I wouldn't be concerned

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Tom Cat

thats a cute picture! i wish my cat playedl iek that wit a stuffed toy...i dont think u should be concerned

"Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow "
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Premier Cat

Snickers attacks Beanie Buddy cats and dogs. They are also close to the size of a real cat. Snickers bites them on the back of the neck and drags them around, among other things. Sometimes I wonder if he's looking to mate or mother them

We adopted our kittens last fall and Snickers has been fine with them after a slow intro. They all play, chase, and swat, yet Snickers still plays with the stuffed toys!! However, he has never tried to drag the kittens around like he does the toys.

I think your cat would likely benefit from a companion. Just take it slow and they should be fine.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page