Eye Problems: would like to hear thoughts (UPDATE) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Eye Problems: would like to hear thoughts (UPDATE)

OK... I’m usually not the one to post any 'personal' problems, but since it's Marsh and it's sort of not personal , I want to give this a try.

I'm basically looking for somebody to console me, maybe just a few nice words, maybe a good advice.

Here's his eye history:
all time:
- his left eye is always an 'issue'
- something always either stuck in it :dirt is in it, or hairs
- sometimes he gets yellow discharge in it
- sometimes he will keep it half-closed just for no apparent reason to us (no discharge)

8 months old:
- he gets first full-blown eye infection
- our regular vet says it's conjunctivitis, gives a steroid based ointment and sends him home
- 24hr later marsh develops either an allergic reaction or he's just have an overall bad reaction, we take him back, this time it's drops, we do it for 7 days, his eyes are great again

just 2 weeks ago:
- he develops another eye infection
- we take him to a more expensive (better? LOL) vet hospital next town over
- this new doctor inspects his eye for about 10min, thoroughly asking questions on his history
- his diagnosis: inward rolling eyelid – need operation sometime in the future!
- he says that's why he's always getting dirt in it, infections and keeping it half-closed sometimes
- prescribes steroid-based drops, eye clears up in 7 days (just stopped medication 2 days ago) he seems great now
- today I got the letter from then on operation estimate: $850 (wow) – they will cut a small skin graft from under the lower eyelid and try to open it up

my breeder/great friend
- she’s not happy with this diagnosis (inward rolling eyelid)
- insists the cat does not have an eye problem , says it’s herpes virus which is present in all cats and says we should be taking him to an optomologist for another opinion – I DEFINITELY agree with her on this
- more background: marsh's sister, virtual twin, has 'same' problem with left eye - it's worse with her though, it's always oozing liquid, i've seen her many times and know this first-hand - breeder, who owns her, says it's herpes and stress and gives her L-Lysine in liquid form each day and says it helps, but i just don't see her improving (maybe slowly improving)

so after all this... what are we to do? I'm not happy because my friend is angry at me, since she thinks i'm not doing enough ... she also says putting steroids in a herpes-infected eye will cause the herpes to bury deeper into the tissue and cause massive damage

<sigh>...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Banned

When that much money is involved, a second opinion is a wise move.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 06:45 PM

I agree with the others on a second opinion from an Ophthalmologist. Richie has a problem with his left eye too...my vet diagnosed it as feline herpes originally. After a couple of treatments of clavamox to clear up the bacterial infection on his face from the watering eye and a couple months on l-lysine supplement my vet did'nt think he was responding to the l-lysine as well as he should have been and now she thinks it may be chlamydia rather than herpes. She gave me terramycin for the eye and azithromycin for him to take orally every 3days....so far it seems to be helping. His eye still waters but does'nt look as irritated and he has stopped squinting as much. Keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Cat Addict

I'm not sure if cats are the same as dogs, but I had a cocker spaniel that had constant eye infections, and we finally had to have her third eyelid removed.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 01:24 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
"Inward rolling eyelid" (also known as entropian) is characterized by:
  • * Tearing

* Squinting, inability to see the eye well

* Rubbing eyes

* Mucoid or thick discharge from the eyes

* Rolling of the eyelid and wetness on the hairs adjacent to the eyelids

Sounds like what you're dealing with, but obviously, I'm not a doctor and haven't seen your cat. It's more common in dogs, but it does happen with cats, and is more common in certain breeds like - for instance - the Bengal.

(btw, animals with this problem shouldn't be bred - it's a hereditary condition)

I'm not too concerned that your breeder admits to having herpes in her cattery, though her estimates are wildly off . Herpes and Entropian have nearly identical symptoms, and she's right: steroids and Herpes do not go well together!

For Marsh's best interest, I would book an appointment with an opthalmologist as soon as possible. However, remain open to both your breeder and your veterinarian. Your breeder because she's dealing with the same problem (albeit, seemingly ineffectively) and your vet because - well - this is what they go to school for.

Ultimately, the opthalmologist will be the deciding voice, so until then just take a deep breath, hug Marsh, and if it's going to be upsetting don't get into it with your breeder. Just wait until the final diagnosis is in.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Everyone, thank you so much this means a lot, i really needed reassurance.

UPDATE: Well, his eye is better, but i'm not going to call it 100%, there's still some minor discharge around the eyes in the shape of small brownish crustings... which really could mean herpes, since the steroid didn't get rid of all the problems. On the other hand, the non-steroid drops of the very fist vet prescribed 4 months ago did clear him up 110%.

My breeder has really been great about this, and very proactive, she got me a recommendation from a very-well respected and biggest 24hr vet hostpital in our area to 2 optomologists, i'll make an appointment to the closest to us soon
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRagdoll
I share your pain having been through much of the same with Marli. It is very likely Feline Herpes although it could be something else. Get her to an ophthalmologist as soon as possible to avoid permanent damage. Assuming it is Feline Herpes, they will be able to clear it up. Once that is done, the cat will be put on a maintenance program which may or may not include daily drops like interferon, but will definitely include L-Lysine.

As to herpes virus being in all cats, your breeder must only be speaking of her cattery. Obviously, she is aware she has a problem to make such a statement. However, it is quite common and estimates do range up to 70%, although I believe that to be significant overstatement.

I believe an ophthalmologist will solve all your problems. Furthermore, if the vet's diagnosis did turn out to be correct, I would only want an ophthalmologist performing the surgery.

All I can do to assure you is say Marli had similar problems and her eyes are now very clear and there is no permanent damage. She will always get her wet food with "sprinkles" (L-lysine) on top. As to drops, she hates them, but knows they are always followed by either wet food or treats, so as soon as she is put down to the floor she starts screaming as I can't fill her dish fast enough.

Unfortunately, you will undergo significant expense through all of this, regardless. However, if you are like us, you wouldn't even consider returning her to the breeder by this point-first, because you've fallen completely for her....second, because based on your breeder's statement, you have rescued her from a less desirable home.

Again....OPHTHALMOLOGIST QUICKLY - will cure your cat and relieve your pain and worrying....and pocketbook. The fact that the drops worked shows it is easily fixed in the short term....just need it thoroughly checked and a long-term maintenance program.
thanks so much for all the info, i have since actually too started to come around and probably it is herpes, not a rolling eye lid. reading your posts and you going through the same thing makes me feel so much better, it's really tough going through this 'alone'

and of course, i'm definitely not returning marsh (he ) to the breeder EVER he's my special guy, and i love him to death, i just want this fixed, to make him and me comfortable again
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey
"Inward rolling eyelid" (also known as entropian) is characterized by:
  • * Tearing

* Squinting, inability to see the eye well

* Rubbing eyes

* Mucoid or thick discharge from the eyes

* Rolling of the eyelid and wetness on the hairs adjacent to the eyelids

Sounds like what you're dealing with, but obviously, I'm not a doctor and haven't seen your cat. It's more common in dogs, but it does happen with cats, and is more common in certain breeds like - for instance - the Bengal.

(btw, animals with this problem shouldn't be bred - it's a hereditary condition)

I'm not too concerned that your breeder admits to having herpes in her cattery, though her estimates are wildly off . Herpes and Entropian have nearly identical symptoms, and she's right: steroids and Herpes do not go well together!

For Marsh's best interest, I would book an appointment with an opthalmologist as soon as possible. However, remain open to both your breeder and your veterinarian. Your breeder because she's dealing with the same problem (albeit, seemingly ineffectively) and your vet because - well - this is what they go to school for.

Ultimately, the opthalmologist will be the deciding voice, so until then just take a deep breath, hug Marsh, and if it's going to be upsetting don't get into it with your breeder. Just wait until the final diagnosis is in.
I know, it does sound like he has the eyelid, but then again, when i look at both his eyes, they look similar, i can't see any difference in the eyelids. And my breeder insists that marsh's sister doesn't have it either!

We're definitely going to the eye doctor, i'm hoping to post some good news soon
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 04:00 PM

I hope you are able to figure out what is wrong with Marsh's eye. It can be very worrying to have something wrong with your baby and not know what it is! It sounded a lot like the entropian eyelid to me too but that would be hard to diagnose without seeing! I hope you find a good opthomologist in your area. I know the thought of putting a kitty through surgery etc is rather frightening (if it turns out he needs it) so I thought I would share some of the stories of kitties I have known with this condition. We had a string of cats come through our shelter with the entropic eye condition last year. All are now living happy lives in their new homes but you can read their stories here...

Nice to see the happy endings from these cases!
http://www.meowfoundation.com/helpus/me ... p.html#pad
(Philip, Rupert and Paddy all had the eye condition, Paddy was diagnosed after this page was written but had the surgery and is doing Great!!)

Please keep us updated on how Marsh is doing!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I have an appointment today 5pm with an eye doctor. He has no extended or late/weekend/early hours, so i have to get off work early to do this.

I'm scared but also sort of relieved at the same time, i WANT to know what is going on. This will be tough, since i have to go alone (nobody else can go with me for his one) and the doctor is good 1/2 hour away. I'm hoping marsh will be OK in the carrier for that time.

I'll keep everyone posted as to what he says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page