HELP!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

HELP!!!

my cat is 6 months old and she's been a bad girl. lately she hasn't been using the litter box SHE'S BEEN GOING ON OUR COUCH IN THE SAME SPOT ALL THIS MONTH. Its really starting to make me mad. I dont know what to do. Can anyone help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 04:17 PM

have you tried the bitter apple repellent? or moving the couch? if you catch her in the act I would lock her in the room with the litter box and nothing else for a lil while.

Also maybe some Feliaway might work for her? It's that hormonal thing that is supposed to calm cats with behariour issues.

Also poke around under the behaviour section because I know this is a problem alot of people have posted about in there.

Is she spayed? If she isn't that could most likely be the problem but if she is then I dunna kitten in training?

Sorry wish I could be more help. Good luck.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Cool Cat

A vet visit to rule out urinary tract problems is in order...a cat that experiences pain when using the litterbox will invariably pick a diferent spot to use. It makes perfect sense in cat logic, though cat logic is often pretty incomprehensible to humans.

Do you remember the circumstances under which it started? Did you move the litterbox? Change litter brands? Do you have more than one cat? Sometimes one cat will ambush another during litterbox use and cause problems. Some cats won't use covered boxes, others won't use an open box, so if that's changed, see if going back to the original way will help.

Also, try adding an extra litterbox or two...some cats like a choice (the rule of thumb is one box per cat, plus a spare). Some people have had luck with a litter additive called "Cat Attract," though I;ve never tried it myself. And make sure that the box is in a pleasant place for the cat...not in the cellar behind a washing machine or furnace.

You'll have to use an enzyme cleaner on the couch and inside cushion to break the cycle. Once a cat has marked a spot as "hers," the smell will remind her that it's okay to use that spot. Regular household cleaners won't get that residual smell out...you can't smell it, but she can, and that's all that matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Banned

Dittoes on Gudewife's remark about cleaning. Sometimes people just clean the surface, forgetting that the urine has soaked through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page