Spaying an older cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Spaying an older cat?

Hi everybody!

I posted a while back about introducing a kitten with an established cat. Well, my friend can no longer take care of her 8 month old female cat, and I'm considering taking her in. I'm just concerned since the female cat was never spayed, and went into heat. If we spay her now, will she continue to howl like no tomorrow?

Both cats will be female... will any of this pose a problem? (My cat is a little terror, and I know the new kitten is a total sweetheart lap-kitten.)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 04:02 AM

Once she is speyed, she will no longer have any signs of heat. You can spey cats a lot older than 8 months as well, my own foster kitty Isis was speyed at 18 months with no problem whatsoever. She was also in season when she was speyed as she never came out of one after having kittens.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Don't worry about a thing! After I found Nya the vets told me she is about 3-4 years old, and I had her spayed at Christmas. It cost me more because she's a "mature" cat, and the anesthesia made her loopy for a bit longer than I think it should have, but otherwise all is well! 8 months is still plenty young

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 09:45 AM

You can definately still get her spayed, and I can guarantee you she will not howl like that anymore. Both of my girls got spayed at 8 months, after they had gone into first heat.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 10:20 AM

There is this stray cat that hangs out around my mom's neighborhood. She gave birth to kittens in my mom's backyard and my mom had her spayed after that. I think she was 2 years old. So yes, you can have adult cats spayed/neutered.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Yay! I'm so happy to hear about that!!!

I just wasn't sure about it because I remember with our cat Sasha, it seemed like a race against the clock to get her spayed at the exact right moment before her heat cycle... but that's a relief to hear about the new one.

Now, what about the fact that they are both female? I heard somewhere that you should get one female, and one male. Do two females get along better than a mixed set?

Thanks again!!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Ah! I also thought up one other thing...

The new kitten was allowed to go outside for basically her whole life... and we're going to be moving into an appartment and won't be letting our cats roam around. Do you think this new one will cry every minute to go outside & try to escape the second we open the door? (new question, I know... but easier than setting up a new thread )

Thanks again!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Cat Addict

All of my cats were strays I found outside and only one tried to bolt when the front door was open -- he was still a kitten when he did this, so I think it was more kitten curiosity than anything. I would say your kitty will get used to being inside after awhile. You could always leave a window open for her to look out and feel the breeze.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 02:45 PM

I have had cats neutered as old as 4-5 years of age. Congrats on your new addition!!

Mikko was feral before being captured in a humane trap by the city. He's now an indoor only cat and is quite happy. I second the suggestion of cracking a window and allowing a breeze for them. Mine love it!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRagdoll
Absolutely no difference as to whether two females, male and female, or whatever. The differences are the personalities from one cat to another.
Only an Age + Gender combination could make a difference. An older female cat might not be willing to stand the rough play of a rambunctious young male cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page