Types of harnesses - opinions? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Types of harnesses - opinions?

I never really had any desire to let Addison outside. For some reason (and I HONESTLY don't know where it came from) I've always assumed a cat allowed outside for the first time will just RUN and not come back for a while... from what I've heard, its just not true... but I'd rather not chance it

However, it was a really nice day out today and we had all the windows open and I noticed how he instantly jumped up for a view outside. Now he's never been one to rush the door or even TRY to get out, but I can see how he might enjoy a little time outdoors around the house. I'd never just let him outside though.

I've been considering a harness for a little while, but don't know if he'd like it or not. If I can get him comfortable wearing it for a little while every day, I might try to bring him outside and let him wander around the garden for a bit, sniff around, lay in the sun... that sort of thing.

Now I've seen different types of harnesses and know that quite a few of you have had a lot of success with your cats and harnesses, so I figured I'd see if anyone has any opinions on what kind are the best. Some of the ones I've seen:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=0&N=2002+2030
This is the kind with a smaller hole in the front, larger in the back and is connected on the top.

This is just two holes connected together at the back.
http://www.kittenkaboodle.com/Mercha...es_Collar/9508
Another view.

Sort of like the one above, except the leash is built right in.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1110748753708
Another that connects at the top, but has a different leash attachment so it rotates to avoid tangling.

http://harmonybuckles.com/merchant/ch.html?src=overture
Another - with pretty colors

I also saw one that was like the first, but connected top AND bottom... can't find it again.

So basically, the "H" style or the "figure 8" style seem to be the basics... which one seems more secure?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 09:32 PM
Premier Cat

It's a bit hard to see what some of these look like, but I'll tell you what I can!

I own the one with the leash built in. I had to stop using it because it has a sliding mechanism on the back and Snickers slipped right out of it. It was fairly flimsy. Not recommended.

The first one on your list looks the most like the second one I bought, which is actually a small dog harness I got at Petco. Snickers is a bit of a chunker at 15 lbs. The cat harnesses looked too tiny and had thinner straps.

I'll try to describe mine. It has two adjustable loops, one that goes around the neck and one around the body. Each loop opens completely and fastens with a sturdy clip. The loops are connected in two places -- there is a strip on the cat's back and one on the belly. The leash connects to a metal loop on the back of the harness.

I really like my harness. Snickers can't get out of it, it feels sturdy and is easy to put on. He's pretty picky about stuff like this but he lets me put it on with no problems. I would recommend it.

I've never tried the figure 8 style so I don't know anything about those. Just looking at it, it doesn't appear very comfortable. But that's not an informed opinion on my part!! Good luck.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 09:50 PM

I have the first one hand have brought them out into the garden using it, they have never gotten out of it, but they haven't really tried either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Cool Cat

I say the first one or the one from PetSmart. These models are like the ones we have and our furguys have never escaped and look like the feel comfortable in them (that's the most important factor, isn't it?!) I'm always wary of those braided-rope types. They look too "slippery" to me...not escape proof, you know?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Cool Cat

I got two at Petsmart for my kitties. There was only one type available and I don't remember what brand it is. It said "one size fits all" but apparently one size does not fit Justin. I mean, yes, he is a big cat at 15 pounds, but still! It barely was big enough to fit Stormy and she is only 10 pounds.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 10:52 PM
Premier Cat

Shlanon, try the dog aisle. Snickers was too big for the cat ones also. The smallest dog size was perfect for my chunky kitty!

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:34 AM

I bring Monte everywhere with me and I got him a Harness Vest and it works great, here is a picture of it.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 01:22 AM
Senior Cat

the harness vests are in the small furry animal section of my local petsmart, it's got a rabbit on the front, they seem like they have the most coverage *shrugs* but I dunno, try a few out, like most things, different cats have different outdoor trip needs
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 04:18 AM

I really couldn´t advise you on harnesses. We never let our cats go outside.

We do however plan on having an outdoor ... kennel (that´s the Dutch word for it, can´t find the English word in the dictionary, sorry). Compare it, if you will, to a massive iron cage of about two meters high, about 2-3 meters wide and 4-7 meters long.

They are custom made over here in Holland and even with a pathway from the house into the cage. In the cage itself you can put up as many climbing things and toys for them as you like.

I´ve seen some of other people, and the cats simply love it! There is no danger of cats running away and they can go outside whenever they feel like it.

It´s just an idea and may be something you´d like to consider as well ?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I've always loved the idea of the outdoor enclosures, but I'll only be living in this house (with my mom) for a year or less. I hope less Plus our neighborhood has really strict rules about what you can and can't have in your yard, on your house, what color to paint your mailbox!

I think eventually when I'm settled on my own for a while somewhere, I'd like to have one built but for now its either indoor only or on a leash. I may not even go through with the harness because he doesn't seem to WANT to go outside, just look out the window, so may I shouldn't mess with a good thing

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page