Automatic Pet Feeders? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Automatic Pet Feeders?

Does anyone own an automatic pet feeder? We would like to buy one just to use on weekends when we are out of town.
What brands have people used and which ones are good?
We would need one that doesn't have food sitting out all the time, since Justin would just keep eating and eating and eating... Plus, I don't know if we would need two bowls for it, since otherwise Justin would eat everything and Stormy wouldn't get anything.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Shlanon, I got mine free, filled with cat food. This isn't something you will be using every day, so I would look for the same thing. I've had it for years, and it has held up beautifully. Mine just works by gravity. It was great when I free fed the cats dry food, and even though I switched to mainly canned, it is a lifesaver when an emergency arises. Good luck.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

*BUMP*
Other ideas? I really need one that is timed since Justin is a piggy on dry food! We have been looking at one of the brand name Ergo...anyone know about this one?

Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Banned

Don't have any experience with the Ergo, but a timed feeder still won't solve one cat eating faster than the other, will it? (Unless you separate them, and I don't think you want to do that for a whole weekend).
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Weeeell, it won't solve the problem, but if Stormy gets hungry, she will start eating pretty fast also. It's kind of a given that Justin will eat more than her, but he does that anyway.
My husband actually wants to set up some sort of ramp from where the food comes out so that it goes off into two different dishes. That way they both would have their own.

Shannon
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlanon
That way they both would have their own.
I'm really sorry, but I did have to laugh when I read that. Do you feed out of one bowl now? The only way two separate bowls is going to make any difference is if they're in different rooms. Cats don't distinguish between "mine" and "yours". To them, it's ALL "mine".

(Maybe I just wanted to save your husband the wasted effort of making that ramp)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Well tim, here's the thing about Justin though...I have noticed before when I have only had one bowl (at my parent's I think) he would just hog it. But when I feed them dry in two bowls, once Stormy is "established" in her bowl, Justin doesn't have the err...guts to go over and take over her bowl from her. Does that make sense?
Plus, there is also the added factor of the more hungry Stormy is, the more assertive she will be in "insisting" that Justin let her have her share of food.

Shannon
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlanon
Justin doesn't have the err...guts to go over and take over her bowl from her.
Well, then you are indeed fortunate and it may very work for you, then. Usually the greedy cat takes over everybody else's food bowls and eats not only his food but half of theirs, too. It was a real circus at my house until I started feeding them separately.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 03:57 PM

Mine are 'staywell' ones. I'm from uk though so don't know if you can get them in us? They are timed and have different sections for the food. They also have chillers on the bottom in case you use wet food. REally cheap too, only £12 each (think thats about $6?) Really annoying clicking timer though!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I think 12 pounds would be about 18 dollars. It's still a good price, though. (I have friends and family in the UK) It varies, but I think a pound is about $1.50 US.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page