Anyone grow catnip? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Anyone grow catnip?

So I was at the store today and saw some catnip seeds. I've always wondered what Addison would do with fresh catnip, so I decided to give it a try.

I'm using one of the seedling kits that has the soil in mesh and you just add water and put on the "greenhouse" lid and wait about two weeks. Then (assuming they grow... I have NO green thumb at all!) I'll transfer the babies to larger pots.

So a few questions... the package said they grow like 4-6 feet (assuming tall?) and I doubt it'd ever get that big... but what size pot do you think I'd need?

I have some really cute small pots that I figured I could hole a few sprouts in each, or would it be better to get one large pot for all the sprouts?

How long did it take to grow and does it last? Any good results with your kitties? Is fresh better than drieds? Hopefully in a month or two I'll have one VERY happy kitty!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Cool Cat

Hey Osnobunnie! I was going to type out my answer, but I remembered that I had this link handy:

http://home.att.net/~kittycatfurball/catnip.html

I hope this helps! Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:38 AM

Isn't growing catnip illegal? Just messing. Everytime I think of catnip I think of Puss n'Boots getting busted by the knights for carrying it. "Er... that isn't mine."

I've never grown it before but I hear cats love it fresh! I would make sure the pots are out of your cat's reach - or he might take it upon himself to knock it over before they are grown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 10:22 AM

I grow catnip outside. Basically, it's a weed! Spreads all over and I always thought the fresh stuff smells like skunk! It should be easy to grow. It's harder to kill!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 01:13 PM

trim it back regularly and it won't get 3-4 feet tall. it needs full sun and lots of water. the only reason you should have to start it indoors is because the cat will eat the tiny sprouts and kill it. once it's big enough, you can plant it straight outside in an area that gets full sun and water it regularly like the rest of your lawn.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 05:22 PM

I am fortuanate, it grows wild in the woods behind my house. The cats go bonkers for the fresh stuff and they can't overdose according to my vet. The only downside to the fresh stuff is that they ignore the dried catnip I have to give them in the winter. I even tried to harvest some in the fall (and yes it does grow to about six feet tall) and dry it in the garage, but no luck they just turned their noses up at the dried stuff. But I went to the local feed store and bought some oats and sprinkled them on moist soil. Once they grew up to at least two inches I let the cats have them. They loved the fresh greens in the winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page