New Kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

New Kittens

How old will the kittens be before they need a little litterbox?

How many weeks old until I put food out for them?

They are two weeks old and getting stronger everyday!!

Thanks all!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 07:01 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I would start giving them a taste of pureed food from your finger now. As they get more adept, lower your finger to the dish, so they know where the food is really coming from. They will walk in the food and get very messy, but that can't be helped. It will take a week or two before they eat more then they spill! Watch out for Mother cat; she will eat that food as soon as she can!

When their eating skills are good, put out a pan of soupy canned and kitty food that they can circle and eat on their own, and have a short box with regular, not clumping, litter for their use. They will watch mother and learn, but usually play in the litter. Don't give up. Scratch their little feet in the litter. They'll learn very quickly. When they start climbing into the big litter box, you'll know they are ready for their own "real" litterbox. By that time, I always had the kittens in the family room with me, and I had to "fight off" little kitten thieves who had climbed my leg to get to my plate or cheeseburger. They don't give up easily, either! That's when the teaching REALLY begins! (I know; I should eat at the table, but if there's a good movie on, and you're hungry..... )

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Almost three weeks old . . . .

The kittens are on the 2nd floor right now - but we plan to bring them down to the first floor to the kitchen and get a big "playpen" for them so their litter and food is right by.

Will Momma try to move them back upstairs? They are getting big -they are starting to climb out of the cat bed and can hold up on all fours. But so far - Momma has made sure they haven't strayed from their secret corner.

Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Premier Cat

I wouldn't move them yet. Yes, I think mother cat would try to move them. Wait until they are running around a bit, and more interested in pureed food. I just thought a taste here and there wouldn't hurt, but two weeks is too young to take them out of the bed where they were born. Just make sure you socialize them, by visiting them every day!

They should stay together with littermates and mother cat until they are 12 weeks old. They learn quite a bit, even after they're weaned.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

I'm glad you said something - I wasn't sure about the food and litterbox, and right now they are tucked away under a chair covered by a blanket and - on carpet!

Will 4 weeks be about the right time to start offering them the food and litterbox? Some of the books I've ready don't say anything at all abut softening the food at first - but that sounds like it makes a lot of sense.

All your help is appreciated!!!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Premier Cat

Have you posted any pictures yet?? Would love to have a peak at the little ones and the moma.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 01:25 PM
Premier Cat

I started my kittens on canned, pureed food with kitten formula. If you are going to use dry kitten food, by all means let it soak in formula, then mash it (or put it in the blender with some formula) and add pureed food to it. There are many recipes for kitten formula. Here's one for older kittens: a can of milk and a can of water, an egg yolk, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of light corn syrup. You're not bottle feeding, so you won't need the one for newborns.

They should have access to a litter box once they start eating on their own, even if still nursing.

I'd like to see the kittens too!. Keep in mind the fact that females can get pregnant while still nursing, so make sure she is isolated from toms until you get her spayed. (immediately after weaning) Good luck!

Jeanie

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Banned

I though milk wasn't good for cats/kittens? Don't you mean goat milk or cat milk? Cows milk gives cats diarrhea.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Premier Cat

No, I meant canned milk. Goat's milk or canned milk is used in newborn kitten's formulas. If you check this at Google, you'll find that either is correct for newborns. However, we're speaking of 4 week old kittens, These kittens will still be nursing, but do not need tube feeding or bottles. There are pages and pages of kitten formula at Google, but most are for newborns. They call for either goat's or canned. Most animals do well on goat's milk, but breeders of dogs and cats (I bred both.) usually use canned milk--unless there's a problem with digestion.

Cats usually get diarrhea from milk, not kittens. All baby mammals need milk at a young age, of course.

Jeanie

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 10:36 PM
Banned

I'm always learning, thanks .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page