My cats hate each other :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

My cats hate each other :(

Hi Everyone,

I havent posted in quite some time.

Last summer I took in a 16 yr old male cat (Gilligan). I already had two female cats (sisters which are 5 yrs old). I came onto this site (as well as others) to get advise on how to introduce them. I have not been successful. I've tried everything. Kept them in seperate rooms, Let them each smell blankets of the other, slowly fed them on either side of the door, etc, etc. When the time comes to make contact, the result is always the same. Gilligan hisses and the girls stalk and attack him. They've drawn blood twice. Since the last time they did, I've kept Gilligan in the bedroom. It's breaking my heart though, cause he meows to get out. he's lonely. I let him out a couple of hours when I get home from work (i lock the girls up in another room) but its not enough. I also feel bad to lock the girls out of the room cause they used to sleep with us. They scratch and cry to get in every morning.

The strange thing is that when I fist got him, i did the introduction thing and they seemed fine. I remember them all sitting on the living room floor. something must have happened between them while we were out that freaked Gilligan out. And now, the girls have it out for him.

Is is a lost cause? should i throw the towel in? Is there something else i can try? Ive considered letting them all loose and watching them closely. If someone goes to attack, spraying them with a water bottle. Im just not sure if that will do more harm then good.

Any suggestions would be helpful. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 10:15 AM
Banned

Re: My cats hate each other :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJOberheim
something must have happened between them while we were out that freaked Gilligan out. And now, the girls have it out for him.
I think you've hit on something here. Here's a thread that may be interesting to you:
https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=16315
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 10:19 AM

If the girls used to sleep in your room and now they are not this could be the issue for them, because they may be feeling a bit ousted( not sure if this is the proper word or spelling) from their routine. You may try to let them have your bedroom at night so they feel they have the same attetion at night, and he can wander the rest of the house and not feel threatend. The best thing to do is to make sure you are offering the same attention they used to get, and that way they do not feel that the intruding cat is really that big of a change for them.

I just added a third, very slightly older male to my two girls(mine are all under a year old,but very territorial), and they had some issues with him too, but I think theyare all working it out. We still have a hiss and smack now and then but I think that is normal. I have a water bottle out in case of a bad one, then the one starting the fight will get the water. It has not seemed to damage them meatally at all. Sometimes Lizzy has been sprayed when she has attacked Chloe, and now they just play really rough. Sometimes Chloe has been sprayed when she has attacked Connor, and she stilll loves me as much as before and keeps to her routine with me. Connor has been sprayed even trying to attack Chloe, but it does not work too much with him, because he happens to like water, but it did stop him the first time. I have not had to use it much, and now all I have to do is tell them to be nice and they stop fighting. I still keep the bottle handy just in case, but I think that it does help sometimes to interveen, and it teaches them that fighting will get them something they do not like, but it does not harm them.

I would not give up just yet, I feel there is always hope! Cats do not like chages in their routine, but senior cats are harder to get adjusted then younger ones I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Cat Addict

That's a tough one. Sometimes you have to admit it's just not going to work.

However, before you get to that point, here's a couple of suggestions:

Feliway Comfort Zone
Spirit Essences
Try Gilligan with one of the girls instead of both
When they attack him, do they draw blood with teeth or claws? If claws, try soft caps (at least they won't hurt him).
I'd try more supervised exposure...and I'd make free with the spray bottle just before they strike (don't know if this is good or not?? But hey, you're getting to the end of your rope, right?)

If you still can't make them accept him, I'd start looking for a new home for Gilligan. You can take your time (keeping him in the bedroom as you have been) and find him a good home that you feel comfortable with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page