Deafness in blue-eyed white cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Deafness in blue-eyed white cats?

I heard of this but I also heard from many that it is a myth and that it's mere coincidence that this happens. Is there any truth to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Premier Cat

I think ive heard that white cats are more likely to be deaf, I dont know if also being blue eyes adds to this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Cool Cat

if the white cat is not siamese, then yes, they may be deaf.

Here's the formula:
- two blue eyes: 90% probability both ears are deaf
- one blue eye: regular eye side: 10% blue eye side: 50% or higher
- no blue eyes in a white cat: less than 10%

Then in white cats with no blue eyes, you have the color issue - do they have ANY dark patches, or even gray patches, and over what eye or both.

for example, marsh, my all-white cat (no dark patches) has two yellow eyes and hears great.

his sister, one blue eye, one yellow eye, two gray patches on her head, hears fine too

more info from a cat website:
95% of the general cat population is non-white cats (i.e. not pure white) and congenital deafness is extremely rare in non-white cats.
5% of the general cat population is white cats (i.e. pure white). 15-40% of these pure white cats have one or two blue-eyes.
Of those white cats with one or two blue eyes, 60-80% are deaf; 20-40% have normal hearing; 30-40% had one blue eye and were deaf while 60-70% had one blue eye and normal hearing.
Of the 5% of white cats in the overall population, 60-80% had eyes of other colors (e.g. orange, green). Of those 10- 20% were deaf and 80-90% had normal hearing.
Deaf white cats with one or two blue eyes account for 0.25 - 1.5 of total cat population
Total number of cats with white coat and blue eyes account for 0.75 - 2.0% of total cat population
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 05:41 PM

I agree with most off that except that in persians, if the cat is a CPC (color point careerer) or part Himi than it should be able to have blue eyes with now problem. You can have a white persian that is a CPC that has blue eyes without deafness.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarePuss
if the white cat is not siamese, then yes, they may be deaf.
So, the Siamese is exempt....was wondering if that would also apply to the Tonkinese, which was derived from a mix with a Siamese? Thanks....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 10:43 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph0127
I agree with most off that except that in persians, if the cat is a CPC (color point careerer) or part Himi than it should be able to have blue eyes with now problem. You can have a white persian that is a CPC that has blue eyes without deafness.
The same goes for other CPC cats such as Siamese (Foreign Whites), Cornish Rexes and Devon Rexes, however white cats, no matter eye color, are higher at risk for developing deafness. Since the deafness is not directly linked to one isolated gene we cannot breed away the deafness, we can only reduce the risk for deafness by only breeding hearing cats.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 10:51 AM

Over the years I have had 8 white/blue cats. 6 were deaf. It didn't seem to bother them much because they were never outside. If I wanted to get their attention I would stomp the floor and they would feel the vibrations, look at me and come running.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Kitten

I am glad I found this thread, old as it may be. We recently adopted a blue-eyed white cat, not Siamese, short hair, not sure of a breed at all, but I suspect he's deaf, though he seems to be almost fearless. Maybe not fully deaf because I have noticed him responding to high pitched noise, but he doesn't respond at all to other noises that you would think would get him to at least turn in look in curiosity, like clapping of hands. He's also easy to sneak up on, even when you are not being quiet or trying to sneak up on him.

Thanks for the info!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

7 year old thread...please do not bump threads more than a few months old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page