Feline Lukemia tests? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Feline Lukemia tests?

In Drs. Foster and Smith cat catalog, they have a feline lukemia test. Can you test your cat for feline lukiemia? Is there are vaccination for cats against feline lukemia?

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 09:09 PM

Yes and yes. I have had all of my cats vaccinated against feline leukemia. The one that I did not, a sweet indoor Russian Blue named Chelsea, died from it. She contracted it from having contact with an (infected) outdoor cat. It was a sad lesson learned.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyMay
Yes and yes. I have had all of my cats vaccinated against feline leukemia. The one that I did not, a sweet indoor Russian Blue named Chelsea, died from it. She contracted it from having contact with an outdoor cat. It was a sad lesson learned.
I thought that cats couldn't contract it just like humans. Sorry about Chelsea. Thanks for replying.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I don't know what the tests are that Drs Foster and Smith are selling (I'll have to look though) but I wouldn't recommend anyone just buying one to use on their cat. More than likely you'll need a blood sample and this can be really tricky (especially on cats!) so I wouldn't even try.

There are vaccines for Feline Leukemia but unless you have an outdoor cat or one who comes in contact with many other cats, I wouldn't get it. Mine lives indoors and is never around other cats, so there is just the slimmest chance he'd become infected. I'd rather not risk any possible side effects of the vaccine (or just plain over vaccinating him) if he doesn't need it. I hate that its part of our yearly vaccine schedule at work because most people don't even ask about it, they just assume they need it.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 09:42 PM

Just wanted to clarify that I too agree that you should not conduct this test yourself. I didn't understand that you meant that in your post, until I read catlovers reply. If you want your kitty tested, have the bloodwork done by your vet.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 12:50 AM
Cat Addict

yes, have the vet handle the testing. It's important to note that the tests are not 100% conclusive. A positive cat can still test negative, however a positive test result is about99% conclusive. Positive cats may also never actually develop FeLV either, and the vaccinations are not guaranteed to prevent a cat from ever contracting it.

I had a cat who was dying from the disease and tested negative for it.

Theres more mystery than fact surrounding FeLV still, but vets have come a long way in understanding it. just my $0.02

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page