Rescue Volunteer update and questions *Update* - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Rescue Volunteer update and questions *Update*

I stopped by the rescue on Monday when I was off. Nick was with me. I spoke to a woman, who appeared to be "in charge" She was answering phones and dealing with the people who came in. She told me though that she is opening another no kill shelter in northern Florida, so she will be leaving soon and taking some of the animals.

All the cats pretty much have free roam. Some can walk everywhere. Then there is one room for just kittens, one for sick cats. They have a few in cages, which she said are new arrivals and they are waiting on determining their health nd temperment before they are left with all the other cats. Then there was another room or maybe two that was all adult cats. They also had access to go outside to a enclosed area. They had a bunch of rabbits that were in long stall type things. Each had there own one I think. They had alot of dogs too. Some big, some small. They have indoor and out door kennels. I guess they bring them to the outdoor ones so they get to be outside for a little bit. They had a couple of Iguanas and a bunch of birds too. They had probably 40-50 dogs and ALOT of kittens and cats. I think they had like 6-10 rabbits, and I'm not sure how many birds.

They need people to brush, feed the cats and give them attention They also need people to walk the dogs, feed the dogs, etc. Plus I would be cleaning up, doing laundry, etc. The lady who is leaving handles most of the adoptions, she said I could probably help out with that too.

It didn't seem like any of the cats had names or any kind of ID. I don't know how they know which one is which one. I did notice that their website hasn't been updated in a while. All of the picture of the dogs and cats were pretty outdated and the ones linked to pet finder were all adopted already.

It seemed a little messy, but I am assuming that is because they are short on help and they have quite a few animals.

I told the lady that I was interested in volunteering. She took my BF and I around for a little tour and showed us everything. After talking to her for a while I asked her how I went about volunteering. She said come in anytime either 9-12 or 2-5. It seemed kind of disorganized a bit....like just show up. Maybe it was just the way I took it.

Anyways.....is this pretty normal for rescues, shelter, etc. to be like that? I am preety sure I am going to start on Thursday, which is my next day off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Banned

Yeah, when I used to volunteer it was up to the person to actually come on in on their own, but we had a board where we put our name on to see who would volunteer. I don't do this anymore, wish I still could because of my allergies. But I'm sure you will love it. I don't know it might be sad for you, but I don't know how you will handle it. Good luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

I think I will be much happier in a no kill shelter. I'm just a little concerned about the disorganization, etc.

I am a very clean and organized person, so that may be what is most difficult for me. I thought they might have some kind of structure, but I guess they will take the help whenever they can get it. My sister said.....maybe you can help them get all clean and organized
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 12:04 AM

I have to say that the organization I am a volunteer with is VERY organized, which is good, but it didn't happen overnight! Some of the people who started it had a LOT of experience with shelters and rescue. I think it is important that you feel comfortable with how the animals are treated. Organization is for sure something you might be able to help them with then! I think some organizations just don't have enough help and do what they can? Good luck and keep us posted how it goes!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:32 AM

Maybe you can help with simplifying the paperwork.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Well I went and volunteered today. I was kind of disappointed. They had to keep "finding" things for me to do. There was really no set structure. It seemed that I finished the tasks they gave me too quickly. I decided to voulunteer at this rescue, because I thought I would have the most interaction with the animals, but I really didn't have any.

It was kind of difficult to see some of the cats that were born with birth defects or were sick.

My main issue though was that I really think they just have too many animals. They have some dogs in crates....which didn't seem right to me. The crates were a little too small for them also. The had some of the kennels with 3 or 4 dogs in there. I'm not sure if that is normal or not. They have alot of cats too. Most of them don't have names either

It felt good to know I was doing something to help the animals, but I felt bad too because I didn't feel like they had enough space, attention, etc.

I can't decide whether I what to do now.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ta3339
our no kill shelter is exactly the same way.. very disorganized.. they run on little steady help and a few volunteers. They too, say come whenever you wish, we can always use the help.. if it's all day everyday, or one hour a month, they will take anything they can get.

They don't have $$$$$, they are bound to be disorganized.. the shelters that charge $100 for adoption and have 100 employees are organized, cause they pay people to keep them that way.

Good Luck!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

I just thought the number of animals they had was alot. Of course my BF reminded me that they took in 10 dogs that are a volunteers dogs. He needed a place to keep them for a while. But there were still alot and the ones in the smaller crates didn't seem happy. At least most of them were in kennels.

Maybe I am not cut out for it. I don't know. I know they only have a few employees and the rest are volunteers. I also know that they probably don't want to turn away any animals either. I'm sad thinking about it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

So last night I was on the internet and found another no kill shelter, right in my area. They other one was 25 minutes with no traffic. The hours are either 9-12 or 2-5. Which meant last night I was driving home in serious rush hour traffic and it took me over an hour I think I am going to call this other one and go check it out.

I guess I will see if they are very full too, then I will know it is normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page