Tigger - Going Crazy? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Tigger - Going Crazy?

I had problems with him before - but he is going nuts. This morning I fed the cats like normal. For some reason he doesn't want the food I'm giving him (blue buf). I think he is so hooked on science diet that he can't give it up.

He has been snacking on it though - and he does have an appitite - he just doesn't want to eat what I give him.

After I let the kittens out of their room - Tigger inspected their food to see if they left any - they hadn't and he was royally angry. But if I feed him their food he doesn't want it!

Today after I let them out and he came back out of the room - I petted him a bit and he started hissing at me. He knew it was me - and he wouldn't stop hissing. Then he leaned down to pee on the rug!

He isn't sick - we just got him checked. I think this is entirely behavioral. I just don't know what he is so steamed about now!

In the past months he has been attacking Kiley a lot more than usual - sometimes he acts like he knows him - then suddenly - BAM! He is beating up on him. The same with Halifax.

He has never hissed at me or another human ever! Do you think he is going senile?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
I'm not sure, but we have had similar problems with Beeper. We just don't let her and the other cats together at all. Hate to sound callous, but since it's not something we're going to be dealing with for much more than a few years, it's not worth the stress for her and us. She's an old girl, we'll let her enjoy her retirement in peace.

Anyway, we have had incidences of seemingly unprovoked hissing. I think a lot of it is redirected aggression. She sees the cats/smells the cats/smells them on us/associates them with us/etc...whatever it is, it can often trigger spats of hissing directed at us, and we've just learned to back off until she calms down. We don't want to turn redirected aggression into direct aggression by forcing interaction.

Another problem - for her, at least - is arthritis. Often when we're picking her up, or petting her in a certain area, she'll hiss and spit. Poor girl's likely in pain and taking it out on anyone near her. The new supplements will take a few weeks to fully kick in, so we're riding her crankiness out 'till then. Is there any sort of physical pain Tigger could be in? (I've forgotten how old he is)

It could be that the other cats are inadvertantly hurting him when they play, and he's lashing out in response. Also, the more negative interactions they have, the more their future interactions are soured. I'd do anything I could to stop fights before they happen.

Senility is often manifested as unprovoked aggression in dogs, it makes sense that cats could have the same problems. Whatever's going on in their little heads, it makes sense to them. Tigger knows why Tigger wants to see Kiley and Halifax's food. Tigger knows why and when the other cats are annoying him, and he responds appropriately. I don't know that there's a whole lot you can do to change their minds, so for us when Beeper gets cranky, we're just like, "Okaaaay, then," and back off.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

What's pretty much happened is my father has moved everything around the way he likes it. I used to have a litter box in my room - I used to feed my cats in my room. Tigger never saw anything - they ate and slept at night in my room.

Now Tigger sees everything - all the things I do for them. The things I HAVE to do for at least Halifax - he has to eat this food or he gets sick (grains don't work with him at all).

Now that dad has thrown out the litter boxes while I was getting my brothers... we only have the litter maid.

They are invaiding his food area - they are invaiding his potty.

I think I understand what's going on now. I'm going to get everything figured out - and their stuff is going back in my room. This is just insanity. The only thing that really irritates me is that he's thrown the litter boxes that I BOUGHT out.

Oh - and I don't think you are being calous - I think the same thing about Tigs sometimes. "He's an old boy - let him have his way" but sometimes the peeing thing is just too "The Exorsist" to me. I more or less think "Well... he's not comming with me when I leave - dad won't let me."

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 09:17 AM

What was your Dad's reasingin for throwing away the boxes?
Did he think they were smelly???
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
What was your Dad's reasingin for throwing away the boxes?
Did he think they were smelly???
Oh yeah! And even if I scooped them everyday it's not good enough. He gets upset if they go potty once and he can smell it. He got a litter maid - which before they day is through - they sometimes have it filled. It's three cats with the small litter maid! I was going to put one of the others out - but... well... you guessed it! Tossed!

Tigger hates sharing a box - but he doesn't know that of course because he doesn't pay that much attention to him. I knew it - but forgot. Of course I didn't think he was going to toss them either.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 01:48 PM

I guess your Dad isnt really thinking straight.
Because he is going to end up with more odors and urine smell once the litterbox problems start.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I guess your Dad isnt really thinking straight.
Because he is going to end up with more odors and urine smell once the litterbox problems start.
Oh... I know he is! The thing that makes me mad is that I'm getting a dog soon - and if my cat is peeing on the floor - then she is going to think that she can pee on the rug too.

He has that eye watering boy-cat pee smell too... he is fixed but he still does it anyway.

Tigger peed in the catbed AGAIN (did it yesterday as well). I caught him trying to do it this morning... again... we've washed this stupid thing 6 times since we got here.

He tried to pee in my closet last night - but I caught him. I keep my door shut during the day. I feel bad about it too - since my room was normally used to their hiding spot FROM Tigger.

I think I'm going to have to buy another litter box tonight (since my dad tossed the ones I had before). I'm going to keep it in my room again... this is just getting irritating.

My room is going to smell like a kennel again - but I really don't care. If it keeps Tigger happy I'll do it.

But if Tigger pees in dad's room... I wonder if he'll learn his lesson.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 03:03 PM

I still dont understand what your Dad does not understand?
IF he wont listen to you....do you have a family friend or maybe your Mom or someone who can explain these things to him?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I still dont understand what your Dad does not understand?
IF he wont listen to you....do you have a family friend or maybe your Mom or someone who can explain these things to him?
He doesn't listen to me or my mom. My brothers might have a little bit more pull on him - but they don't have to do anything for Tigger so they won't care enough to say anything.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 04:17 PM

How about a letter?
When my oldest boy was a teenager....that is how we communicated the best.....certainly worth a try...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page