Cat Forum banner

Neighborhood bully stirs things up

944 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  lolakitty23 
#1 ·
There's always been a tom cat that lives under and around the vicinity of our house...I think he belongs to a neighbor who keeps him as an outside cat or something. We've only lived here about 9 months and will only be here for 13 months, so I don't know the neighbors too well. Anyhow, our boys sometimes watch him through the windows as he walks by, checking on his territory. And, well, we've noticed that he's been getting more and more curious about WHO is in our house and have seen him sitting at our front walkway sometimes.

Just a few minutes ago, I was sitting in my office, and I heard this "MMMMRRRRRRAAAAARRRR!" come from the living room. Skeeter was with me, so I knew it had to be Binx. "Tom Cat!" I thought. We had our front door open, with the storm door locked and the screened window open about 6 inches. In the few seconds it took for me to get from the office to the living room, I thought "maybe he got in" b/c I've never heard Binx meow like that. He has a very tiny, high pitched meow that is usually barely audible.

When I got in there, Binx was at the screen meowing, and I saw tom cat's head right on the other side. Skeeter came sprinting into the room, ran up to the door and did a Matrix move: ran, jumped up and planted all four paws on the door, then pushed off and landed next to Binx all in one move. I ran up to the door and yelled at the cat and he ran off. Meany! Scaring my boys!

What was funny is that Binx, our 7 pound munchkin, laid back, lover-boy was the one yelling at tom cat to "get outta here!" and Skeeter--the 10 pound, muscle-y "mom, I'm a big boy" guy--after he saw what was going on, went and hid under the bed!

That was our exitement for the evening. :lol:

I know that one of the neighbors has called animal control on the outside "strays" around here--particularly tom. But, we've yet to see anything done.

See less See more
#3 ·
Mitts & Tess said:
Arent those yowls frightening sounding!
Made me laugh hearing of whos the brave
protector and whose not in your family! :p
How cute
Yeah, we found it pretty funny, too. Poor Skeeter was shaken up for the rest of the night. But this morning, he was all purrs and nuzzles as usual, so everything's fine with him. We just couldn't belived what a little scrapper Binx is! How shocking! 8O

#4 ·
What a funny story! :lol:

I've also got an un-altered tom on my block, but this one is actually very nice (someone named him Hobo). There are 4 houses on my block that feed the strays here. Anyway, one day recently I had opened up my kitchen window to let in one of my own cats & just left it open to air out the room. I went about my business (forgetting I had left it opened). I started to head for the bathroom & there's Hobo, just coming out from there. We scared each other half to death! He let out a youl & I jumped back in my own tracks. He ran back to the window & jumped out. Cats just can't resist any open door or window!

#5 ·
I have one too...his name is prounouced, "kee-kee-meow-meow" That is what my neighbor calls him. At first I thought he was sweet and I was nice to him (I just moved here) but now I despise him becuase he attacks my cats as soon as he sees them and they are too scared to go outside at all, which sucks becuase now they are totally depressed and I don't know what to do about it!

#6 ·
thepuff said:
I have one too...his name is prounouced, "kee-kee-meow-meow" That is what my neighbor calls him. At first I thought he was sweet and I was nice to him (I just moved here) but now I despise him becuase he attacks my cats as soon as he sees them and they are too scared to go outside at all, which sucks becuase now they are totally depressed and I don't know what to do about it!
Aww. Poor sad kitties. Most of us here have indoor cats and can attest that cats can and do get used to the indoor life. If yours are going outside, it's going to take a little time, but they'll settle in to la dolce vita soon enough. :wink: Outside, there are so many threats, anyway (non-vaccinated stray cats being one of them) that it's best for cats to live indoors. If this is the plan for you, please be sure to provide plenty of stimulation for the cats...get some wand toys and have some interactive fun! :) Of course, since they have each other, they should get plenty of play time, anyhow.

I hope they get happier soon. We make sure to leave window shades open all over the house and put up a bird feeder and birdbath right outside a window (with their kitty condos providing spectator seats) so they have plenty of live entertainment. Something else you can do is hide a couple of treats in the house once in a while. This keeps their hunting and tracking skills sharp and they love the hunt! :) Good luck to you and your furbabies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.