hi all...newbie here with a question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
jj

hi all...newbie here with a question

Hi everyone:

I have a long haired cat that is at least 10 years old. He basically runs the house, we have a dog and he runs her too...lol. Well we got her when she was a tiny puppy and they have been best friends ever since or shall I say brother and sister.

Anyhow, my problem is this. I brush Bonsey about every second day or so, or rather when he lets me, but I have noticed his hair is getting matted alot and I have also noticed that lately he has been rolling around on the carpet quite a bit, something he never did before.

Unfortunately the matting is getting worse and I am getting a little worried as now I am finding that some parts I have to cut off with scissors. I tried to slowly brush it out and be very delicate about it but he loses his patience and needless to say he leaves marks on my hands and arms, but that does not bother me.

Considering his age I was wondering if I should perhaps bring him to the Vet and let them take care of it. I do believe they would have to give im some sort of light anestetic, but what worries me is, will he wake up?

I know this sounds silly but I have never had to bring to the Vet for anything except perhaps a check up here and there and he is in quite good heath. Am I worried for nothing, as I do so love him very much.

Sorry for the long post and thanks so much

jj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 09:22 PM

One trick that I've learned to get mats out of my dog is to saturate the mat with coat conditioner, seperate as much as you can with your fingers. Then slide a comb between the mat and the skin-to protect the skin, then cut into the mat perpendicular to the comb cutting the mat into narrow strips, then try to gently comb the mat out.

If you do need to go to the vet, they probably will try to sedate him. Anytime they put an animal under there is a chance of death-even a seemingly young healthy animal. You can ask for some pre-anesthesia bloodwork, to make sure there are no underlying problems that would cause complications.

Jennifer
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 09:26 PM

This is a perfectly normal thing to worry about and I dont think you are over reacting. Taking him to the vet would probably be in the best of both your intrests. I have seen other cats on here who have gotten "lion cuts" to help stop matting. Also other who have just had the matting cut out.

As Jenifer suggested pre blood work would probably be best. It only costs about 40 dollars before he would actually go under. I recently had my boy neutured and as it is he is only 1, but I still got the blood work done. Better safe than sorry, imo.

Good luck to you and your kitty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 09:32 PM

Scully has quite long fur and matts easily and hates to be brushed (7 years of not really being brushed by previous owners).

We take him to the local groomers 3-4 times a year to get a full bath, brush, trim, get any matts cut out, back of legs shaved short, teeth brushed and it costs about $35-40 Canadian.

I don't get a lion cut though... just a trim!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 08:31 PM

The vet should definitely offer tests before putting cats under -- if a cat can't take it then they won't give anesthetic.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
jj

hi all and thanks for your replies.

I have attempted to take off some of the matting myself for now. I got hubby to scratch around his face while I do this, he is good for 15 minutes but then he catches on...lol

But defintely will get blood work done on him and if all is ok wll have the vet take care of it, I rather a professional do it as I don't want to hurt him in anyway.

jj
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 08:08 PM

I don't know if Ryans Global Foods is up there, but they have a groomer in a lot of their stores. Thats where we get Scully done. You should make sure they have done a cat before though some of them only have done dogs before and cats can be a handful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page