Guess I dropped the ball.....sad - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Guess I dropped the ball.....sad

My friend got a kitten last December. She told me she was going to have her spayed and declawed. Well....of course I gave her the whole story on why we do not declaw these wonderful creatures. She was shocked to hear what I had to say and said she would only spay her. The subject never came up again.

I saw her last week and she said she was going to the vet to visit her kitty. I asked why they kept the cat two days instead of one day like all mine. That's when I found out she had her declawed after all! I am so upset and angry! Her kids are very rough anyway and now this poor creature has no defense whatsoever.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but if there was something else I could have said or done....... Maybe this will come up again with someone else and I don't want to drop the ball twice

She didn't even try a scratching post! Ugh! I could go on and on.........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

artwork by ForJazz

It's my cat's world, I'm just here to open the cans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Cool Cat

I am sorry for you... I know exactly how you feel. I will not let anyone adopt one of my rescue cats unless they agree not to have them declawed.

Don't blame yourself though... you DID educate her about the process and she ultimately made the decision.

I wish that MORE people viewed their pets as individuals instead of property. <sigh>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 01:45 PM

My best friend declaws her cats too - and I have to just bite my tongue about it.

I've had several other people give me a story.

I think I've met a handfull of people who really regretted it afterwords (after they thought declawing was the best). A elderly woman who used to be our next door neighbor. A woman who was made to get her cat declawed because of hard wood floors. She said: it was either that or I would have been thrown out. But she regrets it anyway.

Then again - some people know the facts and get it done anyway even when there are other alternatives (aka their cats aren't face shredding hellions).

It makes me sad - because I love my kitties claws - they do so many funny things with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 01:58 PM

Dont feel sad, there is nothing more that you could have done, and it was her choice.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 02:06 PM

Yes, indeed. Do not beat yourself up over it... you voiced your concerns and opinion to her, and it is ultimately up to her to make up her own mind.

We can't fret over things that we have very little control over. Chin up!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Cool Cat

Don't feel bad, it's not your fault. When it comes down to it, you really can't control another person's actions, so there's no reason in blaming yourself. The most you can do is educate someone. Beyond that, its out of your hands.

In another thread, I told about introducing one of my in-law's family members to our boys over Thanksgiving. As soon as she heard that we had adopted two kitties, the first thing she said was, "Oh! Have they been declawed yet?" And the way she said it sounded like some sort of right of passage ceremony, like, "Oh! Has your baby started walking yet?" I explained to her why we hadn't had them declawed (besides thinking their claws are so cute!) and she just said, "Oh, well..." and went on about her business. I couldn't believe it. I don't understand that. But, again, all I can do is be thankful that we found our boys before someone else did who might have put them through something like that!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Elizabeth, don't feel bad--or even be surprised.
Some people come to this forum specifically to learn about cats, and then argue about almost everything they can learn here. You did what you could.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 05:07 AM

I agree, you did what you could.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks everyone. I still feel bad, but I don't blame myself. I'm just thinking of that sweet kitten in the situation she is in now with those kids.

I am happy to have the support of you awesome Cat Forum people!

*goes to hug all her kitties*

artwork by ForJazz

It's my cat's world, I'm just here to open the cans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page