Timing of new cat introduction after a move - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Timing of new cat introduction after a move

Hello--I may be moving into a larger apartment in a few months, which would allow me to adopt another cat to be a companion for the one I already have. I work a lot, so I think it would ultimately be better for him, although it might take a while for my cat to realize how great a friend can be!

I'm just wondering what people think would be the best timing for the new cat introduction. Would it be better to introduce the new cat as soon as possible after the move, so my old cat wouldn't have his territory staked out as firmly? Or would a new environment and the presence of a strange cat just be WAY too stressful?

I guess it's a question of whether a cat would deal better with a whole bunch of freaky new stuff at once or to experience first one upsetting new thing and then another one a few months later.

Thanks for your opinions! I don't have too much cat experience under my belt (yet).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 12:16 PM

I guess it really depends on your cat. If it were me personally, I'd do it immediately. That is, if it were possible to find the perfect cat at that time. I would keep the new kitty in one room, let them scent it up, and keep the old kitty in another room. (It's best to keep even older cats in one room for a while after a move). Then after a while, exchange a blanket or something from each room so that they can smell the other cat's scent. Then let them sniff each otehr under the door, and do the introduction to each other and the new apartment gradually.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 12:27 PM

When I did a reintroduction with Scully when we moved, I moved Scully to the new place before the others so there wasn't so much of a 'this is my place' feeling with the other three... we moved over about a week so Scully had the whole new place to himself and then we brought the other three over on the last day and did an introduction by putting him in one room and letting them have the run of the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Banned

I'd do it immediately, also. New cat in new territory = two new cats in new territory. Both adapting at the same time.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys--that's what I'll do if everything works out.

I think it'll be harder for me to find the perfect apartment than the perfect new cat....every time I go to the shelter there are about 6 six cats I'd love to bring home with me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page