I need opinions, advise, and comfort...(long) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 32
I need opinions, advise, and comfort...(long)

As some of you know my 2 cats live with my dad while my husband and I are living with his parents to save up money. Last night we got back from our trip to North Dakota and we set up the cat tree we got in the mail while we were gone and we decided to take it to my dad's house. While we were at my dad's house some things happened that made me decide to find a new home for my cats (I think...)

A little background information:
My dad drinks, and when he drinks he gets angry. This is part of the reason I moved in with my at-the-time fiance and his parents. My husband and I were planning on getting a place of our own in August and taking the cats back then. We could keep them here, but my mother-in-law is allergic to cats and we would have to keep them outside. This time of year is the worst for cats to try and get used to living outside in Colorado (rain, wind, snow, etc.). Not only that, but we live in the mountains and there are all sorts of wild animals roaming free. I don't think I can trust my dad alone with the cats anymore. Also, my husband is allergic to the cats and I don't want him to suffer when we get our own place. My husband never once told me he wanted me to get rid of my cats, but because of his allergies they would be confined to only three rooms of our furture condo (the living room, the kitchen, and the laundry room). Casey (my husband) has made comments that maybe the cats can just stay outside, but I don't want that. I would rather have them live somewhere where they can stay inside all they want and go outside on hot summer days (like they do now).

I guess I need opinions/advise on a few questions:

If we decide to keep the cats:
1. Since I can't trust my dad with my cats anymore, if my husband and I brought the cats up here to live outside, would that be hard on them especially due to the weather? Plus, how unsafe do you think it would be with the wild animals around here?

2. Are there things we could do to help Casey and his allergies when we get our own place?

If I decide to give them to a better home:
1. Do any of you have any ideas on how to find them a good home?

2. Do any of you cat lovers live in Colorado and want to adopt my two very attractive and playful babies?

One final question...If we decide to keep the cats, but don't want them living here in the mountains, is there ANYONE who would be willing to take them temporarily (until August or so) so that they wouldn't have to live with my dad anymore? Or does anyone here have an idea of how I could find someone to take my cats temporarily?

I need comfort during this time because this is the second time I've had to give up an animal in the last 2 years. I got a black labrador as a puppy and as soon as it grew up my dad hated hit and practically made me give him away. I'm tired of giving away animals, it hurts so much and I don't know if I can do it again. I love Angel and CJ (my cats) and I want what's best for them!

I apologize for this being so long, but if anyone did read it all I would really appreciate any help!

melnz is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 03:06 PM
Cool Cat
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Peterborough, Ontario
Posts: 1,355
Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
It's obvious that you want them away from your father. If you still want to keep them, there are many allergy medications that you husband could take. (my grandma got the allergy shot from her doctor for 18 YEARS while their cat was alive). I dont reccomend having them as outdoor cats, for the dangers you've already talked about. You obviously love your cats and it's just not safe. Other than that, NewRagdoll has pointed out your other option. Find a new loving home for them. I dont have any suggestions on HOW to do this, but I do reccomend tight interview processes and applications for any potential owners, and not giving them away for free, (even charge a small fee) because you never know where free cats can end up...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vanillasugar is offline  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,678
I don't know your financial situation, but if this was me I would get your cats away from your dad and into a boarding facility temporarily, until you can either find someone to foster them for you, or find them a new home together. The only catch is that you couldn't really be sure how long either option would take.

I don't think you should make them live outside, but I don't see any problems with them being restricted to certain areas in your new place - my 3 youngest only have my livingroom and kitchen and they are perfectly happy, with lots of stimulation, toys and company.

I really really hope you can find some way of getting your babies safe and getting to keep them as well - I would go to the ends of the earth to keep mine!

emma_pen is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Premier Cat
Mitts & Tess's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,605
I would contact cat rescue organizations in your area to see if they could take your kitties into foster care and find them new homes. Tell them your situation with your dad and allergies. I would sweeten the deal by offering to pay for food, any medical treatment theyd need while they were waiting in foster care for a new home.

People in rescue are experienced in qualifying and placing pets into good homes. Let us know what happens OK?
Mitts & Tess is offline  
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome