Anyone use crystal type litter? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Anyone use crystal type litter?

I am trying it now but it is getting all yellow from the pee. Does this stuff really last a month? I have 2 boxes for one cat and it is looking gross. I don't smell anything though.

Do you like it?

Is it worth the money?

What are your experiences with it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 11:49 AM

That's what we use, although it only lasts two weeks for one cat. It does very good on odor until it is saturated, which is at about the two week point for my Murphy cat.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 12:37 PM

I tried it a while ago and it works wonderfully in eliminating odor but it is too expensive and it is really gross when it is saturated and it is time to change it. It is wet and has a strong smell. My kitties didn't really like it either. They used it just because it was all there was. When I switched back to clumping litter my cats were so excited. Gracie actually rolled around in the clean litter box and was really hyper after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 01:33 PM

I use tidy cats crystal blend clumping litter and mix in some of the crystals along with some baking soda. It seems to work well for odor control.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 02:13 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by murried2
I use tidy cats crystal blend clumping litter and mix in some of the crystals along with some baking soda. It seems to work well for odor control.
We use this as well: Tidy Cats Scoop Crystals Blend. It's a great clumping litter, so the container of it lasts about a month or so. It's about $7.00 at the store. I don't like just plain crystals. IMO, they don't work as well at controlling odor and my boys don't like the feeling under their paws.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 03:48 PM

I do not use the crystal litter , I use cats pride for multiple cats, it is scoopable and approved by the aspca as safe for cats.

it works really well and it is fairly cheap. there are no smells in my house.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 10:25 PM

I blend the crystals with a scoopable litter. I have 4 cats, scoop my boxes twice a day, but only change them once a month. I have odor problems.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 11:53 PM
Cool Cat

i use crystals exclusively.

the brand i've been using for about a year (since we got Marsh) is FreshMagic. It's silica crystals, they last from 2 to 3 weeks per bag.

Yes, they will turn yellow, yes, you'll smell them, but ONLY when you mix up the litter. BUT.. nothing beats never smelling the litter again.

i love them, i'd never go back to clumping again.

They are expensive through. I buy mine by the case, two at a time. 8 bags to a case, $40/case. that's about $5/bag and going through about 1.5 bags a month, that's $7.5 a month. VERY worth it.

the best thing i can recommend is changing the litter as soon as you're not comfortable with the way it looks/smells. I've found that's the best way, not following the instructions on the bag.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 12:19 AM

I use Catsan Crystals and box also says it can be used up to 4 weeks.

I've got one kitten and I scoop everyday and change the litter every 2 weeks. I prefer the crystals, there's no odour at all.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 10:22 AM

I also use just the crystals. Yes, they do turn yellow, but they work at cutting down the litter... Right now I'm living with my parents for a couple of months, and they've already commented that they don't smell the two cats at all... Also, I notice that the resident cat, Tiger, has walked by the litterbox without a second glance, so it must really be reducing the kitty odors...

I change the box every 2-3 weeks, but buy a big tub of them at Walmart, so the total cost is only about $20/month - which I believe is money well spent...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page