Neighborhood Fued: Loose Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Neighborhood Fued: Loose Cat

OK here's the situation. The neighbor across the street has a male cat that roams the neighborhood freely. I've always liked the cat. I had a female cat in my house 4 years ago, and there were some problems with his cat spraying around my house and garage. He even sprayed in my Porsche Convertible sitting in my garage. Trying to be a good neighbor, I didn't say anything.

Now, I have 2 female cats in my house. They are strictly indoor cats. The male, Momo, is spraying everything. He got in my girlfriend's new Mercedes, sitting in the garage and let loose all over the interior. I confronted my neighbor, and he told me to go to ****. He refused to take responsibility. Now, I'm catching Momo in my Porsche again. Its gotten to the point where I can't keep my garage doors open for any length of time. The other night, I went into the garage to get some bottled water and found cat spray all over the bottles of water. In addition, Momo is hissing and attacking my cats through the screened windows on an almost daily basis.

So, I'm starting to lose my patience. I notified him in writing that if I find the cat on my property again, I'll capture him and call Animal Control to have him taken away. He retaliated by writing me a letter stating that he and his family feel threatened by my attitude.

Normally, I wouldn't hesitate for a second, and I'd have the cat removed immediately. But, the kids in the neighborhood like the cat. So am I supposed to put up with this indefinitely? When do you go from trying to be a good neighbor to being the bad guy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 01:24 PM

Are your two females spayed? If not, you might try that route first. He might be sensing them in season and that's why he's acting the way he is.

As for the owner of this cat...you might want to speak to a lawyer about your rights and what steps you need to take to document any damages that the cat causes.

I'm sorry for your neighbors attitude, and I hope that things start looking up for you soon.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 01:33 PM

Hello,

My suggestion would be to start getting documents on everything. Before you have to call anyone about it, and it turns into a one person says one thing, the other says another, i would start getting examples together of all the problem. Get pictures of the cat at your windows, in the garage, causing damage, or atleast in the area of damage. This allows you to have proof if and when you need it.

I'd also not talk to or confront the neighbor again, but handle it through offical channels, that way everything is on the up and up, there are no doubts about who's correct. I'd also investigate the local laws on animals to see what exactly is being violated. Some areas have no animal control laws, while others have laws that indicated that animals are not allowed outside unattended at all.

Just a few thoughts about what i would do in the situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 01:38 PM
Cat Addict

Did you keep a copy of your letter and his letter? You may need it in case he retaliates.

Here's what you can do without having the cat taken away. Set up a camera and catch the cat in the spraying act, have your car professionally cleaned, and take them to small claims court to get your money back. Usually if money's involved, people will take responsibility.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 02:04 PM

Advise them on the benefits of getting their boy castrated!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 02:30 PM

Hmmmmm....
I think a call to Animal Control is in order.
Is it safe to assume you live in a pretty nice neighborhood,
I mean that is my assumption based on the fact that you have pretty nice cars.
I would never tolerate cat spray destroying my belongings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page