my cat loves friskies!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

my cat loves friskies!!

My cat is 1 year old and is on a WET only diet. No dry at all.

I was feeding him Iams for some time and then switched for friskies and 9 lives because the grocery store only sold that and I really needed wet food. Here's the thing, he now won't touch iams. He only likes the cheap, less quality food. are they that bad?

my question: I know wet food is better but is the lower quality wet food still better than the best dry food? also, what other brands do you find that your cat likes that are not expensive (50 cents or under a can) and easy to find?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 03:37 PM

I think that Fancy Feast is a better food than Friskies - and it's not as expensive as the higher priced brands.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Cat Addict

Nutro MAXcat cans and Nutro Pouches come in 3 oz cans for around 50 cents. They're in just about every petstore, but not in supermarkets. A general rule of thumb is if you can find it at the grocery store, it's not worth buying. (That goes for Iams too.)

Fancy Feast might be better than Friskies but that does not mean it's good at all... in fact, it's definitely low in quality.

Any local Petsmart, Petco, or independant petstore should have Nutro in stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 05:58 PM

Winnie likes Friskies, and it's only 25¢ a can at Wal Mart.
She's overweight but I haven't noticed a difference between regular and the Special Diet. She's old and doesn't exercise so I can't blame it on the food.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 07:01 PM
Banned

The reason your cat likes Friskies is because it's formulated for taste, not nutrition.

Heck, I love potato chips and pretzels, but I can't get good nutrition from them (darn it).
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 07:15 PM

try & give your cat a varied diet of both wet & dry, so long as she is getting proper nutrition the make really doesent matter
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 10:15 PM

I thought dry food was better than wet food. Have the vets been lying to me all these years ?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flammeche
I thought dry food was better than wet food. Have the vets been lying to me all these years ?
They didn't mean to - it's just that vets don't get much nutritional training - and the training they do get is from cat food companies that are out to make a buck.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 01:01 PM

My kitties go NUTS for Friskies wet food. I have tried to switch to Iams, they won't touch it. So now they are on Friskies wet food and Iams dry food. Right now I am just happy to find something that they like to eat, period!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeki Muffinhands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flammeche
They didn't mean to - it's just that vets don't get much nutritional training - and the training they do get is from cat food companies that are out to make a buck.
Over here (Holland) I have also been told that dry food is better. According to some breeders I spoke to as well as vets, wet food contains a.o. much more fat/oil and a lot of salt. Dry food is considered to protect their (cats) teeth as well.
If you don´t feed your cat fresh meat, they all advise dry food.

As mine don´t like wet food at all, nor care for fresh meat, I tend to stick to dry food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page