Fancy Feast: New Gourmet Gold - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Fancy Feast: New Gourmet Gold

Have you all seen this?

(I didn't put this in the Health and Nutrition section for reasons that will soon be obvious.)

I just saw a commercial for this on TV, and HAD TO look it up b/c they say that it's a "great tasting" new food from Fancy Feast. I thought...great tasting, well, we know THAT's probably true, but what about nutrition?! So, I looked it up and here's what I found (where's the protein in that list of ingredients?...Oh! Wait, no....Oh, therrrrrre it is.):

http://www.fancyfeast.com/cuisine/gourmetgold_2.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 09:04 PM

Sorry for being a bit obtuse...but is fancy feast a bad brand for cat food in terms of nutrition? Please advise as to what are the keys to look for in terms of good and not good items.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extier
Sorry for being a bit obtuse...but is fancy feast a bad brand for cat food in terms of nutrition? Please advise as to what are the keys to look for in terms of good and not good items.
Well, there is a TON of info on this topic in Health and Nutrition, but to keep it short and simple: take a look at the ingredients of this food. The first ingredient listed is ALWAYS the one that makes up the majority of the product. Better foods list the meat first: Chicken, Turkey, Beef...these should be the 1st sign of a better food. But, listing rice (like this food), corn, corn meal is a low-quality food because it is mostly fillers and carbs. Like humans, cats will develop health issues being fed a diet of mostly carbs and filler foods.

Do some searching around in the Health and Nutrition section about higher quality foods and better diets for cats. Of course, we can all only do the best for our situations. I know for us, we can only feed our boys 1/2 wet (Nutro and Fancy Feast in rotation b/c of our budget and our finiky eater, Binx) and 1/2 dry (Nutro Natural). So, like us, eating better quality foods will benefit kitty's overall health.

(Hope all of that made sense!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
How DARE they call THAT junk "super-premium"!! And it's sad that people will snatch it up without thinking, simply because it's called "gourmet"

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 10:21 PM

Extier,

When you read the labels of cat foods, also make sure that the first two ingredients atleast are meat, and not by-products.
While the first ingredient may be turkey, if it is followed by "wheat," "cornmeal," and "rice," then obviously those three carbohydrates add up to be more than the turkey, so the cat isn't getting as much protein as you think.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 11:20 PM

I know this is a bit off topic... ok way off topic... but I love their commercials ! I also love that kitty! S/he is just soooo fluffy and cute!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 12:35 PM

Makes purrrfect sense when y'all break it down like that. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page