ID chips - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

ID chips

Well I think I am getting over the loss of my best friend enough to adopt a shelter cat. I need to know about implantable chips. When I got Clark in 1988 they were just coming out and he never got one. How old should a cat be to get one? Are they safe and a good idea? Anyone have any experience with them? Thanks, John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Some shelters actually implant ALL of their animals with microchips, some only dogs, and some none at all. You'll have to ask when you go.

However, there are many places to get your pet microchipped. I think its a wonderful thing. My cat is chipped even though he's indoor only. The chance that he may get out one day. The money I spent on it is a small price to pay for having my baby back

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 08:17 PM

I had Denzel microchipped when he went in for his neutering a couple of weeks ago. He's indoors only but to me its a good safety net just in case he was to go AWOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 10:45 PM

I have my dogs chipped but not the cats. I did it with the dogs at the time Bear was spayed and at the time Guinness was adopted. Our shelters here do it on all adopted animals. They're perfectly safe.
I don't think anyone would think it's a bad idea. Although with cats, realistically the only time the chip would come in handy is if animal control happened to pick them up. I think with most people (myself included) people will see a cat around and think it's just an outdoor pet. Most won't try and catch it the way they will a dog that is loose.

Jennifer
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 11:01 PM

The shelter I volunteer with microchips all the cats, at 10 or 12 weeks for kittens. In fact I have held kittens while it is being done. It is much easier and less traumatic than a tattoo. Both of my girls are chipped and I will have my boy microchipped soon (they are all indoor, but just in case). My boy has a tattoo too, but it was done at the end of January and is half faded all ready. The vet said that was unusual and he would redo it but I'm not putting him under for THAT! He will get a microchip instead. I'm a believer, I think that they are very safe (never heard of any problems) and pretty effective! I once found a lost cat and he was traced back to his owner thanks to his microchip!

You'll have to keep us updated on your search for a cat. Like OsnobunnieO said, some shelters/rescue groups will take care of things like the microchip and spay/neuter for you so that you don't have to worry!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashka
I had Denzel microchipped when he went in for his neutering a couple of weeks ago. He's indoors only but to me its a good safety net just in case he was to go AWOL.
Ditto for me..I had my cats chipped two weeks ago at the same time they were neutered. It cost 45 bucks per cat for the chip, then you have to send in a registration form, and a fee of 12 dollars per registration, one time only. That is how it worked for me, anyway, prices elsewhere may be different.
Mine are indoor only also, but better safe than sorry!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 01:27 AM

What do those chips do? Do they transmit a radio signal or just bounce one back? What equipment is used to find a cat and how does it differentiate between multiple cats.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 02:11 AM

Its a microchip with a unique bar code for each implanted chip. Once implanted, the number is registered with the database with the cats details. If the cat ends up as a stray at vets, shelters and other rescue organisations, they will scan the cat with a handheld scanner which will pick up the chip number. The cat can then be reunited with its owner, providing the chip details are kept up to date!

As for age, we chip most cats when they are neutered.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

"The vet said that was unusual and he would redo it but I'm not putting him under for THAT! "

Be very careful about anesthesia. Clark was 16 and a half when he died because my old vet said his type of anesthesia was safe for older cats, it killed Clark.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 01:36 PM

When we adopted Chevy it was required by law to have the microchip. I am a little if about it.... the whole revelation book in the bible but I think its a good thing especially sense chevy liked to wander (in our yard) with the animal control driving by twice a day. The see the ID tag and will bring him back our take him to the pound and call you to come pick them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page